Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Confused About Package Availabilities

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ghborrmann

Confused About Package Availabilities

#1 Post by ghborrmann »

I'm new to Debian, although I have considerable experience with Fedora and some with Arch Linux. I recently installed Debian buster, because previous googling had indicated that partimage was available in Debian. After the installation, I tried "apt install partimage", but was told that partimage was not available. I was particularly interested in the source code, so I googled for that. I found source code pages for stretch and for bullseye, but none for buster. Thus, my first confusion: if the code exists for the previous and next releases, why is there no code and no binary package for the current one? To get a better understanding of source package availability in general, I then looked for the source code for emacs. I was surprised to find pages for jessie and for stretch, but none for buster or bullseye. Again, I don't understand. Can anyone explain any of this?

With specific reference to partimage, I noted that the stretch source contains two patches, while the buster source contains four. Since partimage is no longer maintained by its developer, I assume that the two additional patches were required because of changes to the system between stretch and bullseye. I also assume that partimage was dropped from buster because the stretch code would not work without an additional patch or patches. At this point, if I want to be able to compile partimage, it seems that I have two options: to try compiling with buster's patches, or to reinstall Debian with the buster (unstable) release. Any advice?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Confused About Package Availabilities

#2 Post by arochester »

Partclone?
Partclone is a project like the well-known backup utility
"Partition Image" a.k.a. partimage.

ghborrmann

#3 Post by ghborrmann »

Thanks for partclone -- I had not been aware of that. However, my interest in partimage is because I have a number of old archives saved with that program.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ghborrmann wrote:After the installation, I tried "apt install partimage", but was told that partimage was not available.
Looks like an RC bug was reported and they didn't have time to fix it before the release: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =%23915987

You can probably backport it yourself if you really want it: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

But the project is dead upstream (v0.6.9 was released in 2010) so it might be better to find an actively maintained solution.
deadbang

ghborrmann

#5 Post by ghborrmann »

The concept of backporting was completely new to me, but the link you provided was exactly what I needed. The process went almost flawlessly; there were a few warnings and error messages that flashed by, but they apparently weren't important. I was aware that the program is dead upstream, but I have a number of old archives that I would like to be able to access. Thanks for your help!