Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can a Debian system have alternate utilities?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Rezadora

Can a Debian system have alternate utilities?

#1 Post by Rezadora »

Hello:
I was wondering if there's a way to have different implementations of some commands apart from the GNU ones without replacing them. For example, if there's a package that install BSD utilities with a prefix or something similar to tell them apart.

My intention is to use an implementation of tr that supports multi-byte characters. Unfortunately the GNU one doesn't support them. I'm aware there are alternatives to tr but I'd like to have an alternate tr that behaves like it should do.

Is there a package that installs different implementations without replacing the ones in coreutils? Would getting an implementation that behaves correctly and putting it somewhere it can be found in the PATH be a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Rezadora

Re: Can a Debian system have alternate utilities?

#3 Post by Rezadora »

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much! I don't know why I didn't think of this, I've done this many times to set the default version of Java to use.

But what packages apart from coreutils contain commands? I'm afraid that if there are, they wouldn't just install a single command, right? What I just want a single command? Would it be better to just get it somewhere and include it in the PATH?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Can a Debian system have alternate utilities?

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The best option is to package up your custom tr version and patch the Makefile to change the binary name thus preventing conflicts.
deadbang