Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

firefox bijwerken debian 10 xfce

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Sjaak Straver

firefox bijwerken debian 10 xfce

#1 Post by Sjaak Straver »

Dear people,

I use debian 10 xfce I like this fine. I all wonder how, for example, firefox should update to the next version. Do they receive a notification? I don't see an update function. Like gnome.
Kind regards,
Sjaak

arzgi

Re: firefox bijwerken debian 10 xfce

#2 Post by arzgi »

In stable Debian, which currently is 10, Buster, there is only security-updates, program versions do not change.

Chrisdb

#3 Post by Chrisdb »

Sjaak Straver wrote:Dear people,

I use debian 10 xfce I like this fine. I all wonder how, for example, firefox should update to the next version. Do they receive a notification? I don't see an update function. Like gnome.
Kind regards,
Sjaak
Which Debian version are you using? Stable, testing, unstable?
Only testing and unstable can have updates of packages. For more info look here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/

You are probably using a stable version, which is recommended for most users. This version however has a longterm version of firefox. Called 'firefox ESR'. ESR' stands for: extended support release.

Like arzgi said, you will only get security updates

Btw, your subject partially is in Dutch, please change it so that everyone knows what we are talking about :wink:

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The firefox-esr package in stable will be updated to the next (ESR) version very quickly after it is released. Debian make an exception because the browser is so security critical these days.

If you want the non-ESR version (why?) then download the tarball from Mozilla and run it from $HOME but be aware that their version won't play audio without either PulseAudio or apulse, unlike the Debian package which works fine with pure ALSA.

EDIT: and the Mozilla version has "studies" (user tracking) enabled by default but Debian disable that option (and a few others) at compile time.
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I don't think Debian's default XFCE desktop has a package update notifier, but you should be able to install and use package-update-indicator.
Description: Notify about available software updates
This small utility which regularly checks for software updates and notifies
the user about available updates using desktop notifications and either
a status notifier icon or a system tray icon.

It is primarily intended for desktops which do not already have this
functionality built-in, such as Xfce.
MX Linux packager and developer

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

You can get the latest Firefox and run it in your ~/user account as an appimage. Works great.

Sjaak Straver

#7 Post by Sjaak Straver »

solved Thanks for your help
Greetings Sjaak