Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KVM from the command line

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Head_on_a_Stick

KVM from the command line

#1 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The Kernel Virtual Machine, or KVM, is a full virtualization solution for Linux on x86 (64-bit included) hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT or AMD-V). Using KVM one can run multiple virtual machines running unmodified Linux or Windows images. Each virtual machine has private virtualized hardware: a network card, disk, graphics adapter, etc. KVM is open source software. The kernel component of KVM is included in mainline Linux, as of 2.6.20. The userspace component of KVM is included in mainline QEMU, as of 1.3.

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

Debian offers two graphical front-end management programs for use with QEMU/KVM — gnome-boxes and virt-manager — but these both pull in lots of extra dependencies and run autostarted system daemons that may not be needed at all if the qemu-system command is run directly from the command line, or from shell functions and scripts.

For this guide I will show how to run a KVM-enabled virtual machine with a shared clipboard, a shared folder, automatic resizing of the guest desktop to fit the host's window and automatic pass-through for USB ports, all directly from the command line. It is a curated and condensed version of this ArchWiki page, which can be referred to for more detail: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU

Prerequisites

Host:

The hardware virtualisation options for the processor need to be enabled from the firmware ("BIOS") menus, for Intel they should be called "VT-X" extensions and for AMD look for "AMD-V". Check if they are enabled in the host by running:

Code: Select all

LC_ALL=C lscpu | grep Virtualization
We also need the QEMU/KVM packages and a SPICE viewer to see the desktop:

# apt install qemu-kvm virt-viewer
Guest:

Once the guest is installed (see the next section for details) we need the SPICE package for clipboard sharing:

# apt install spice-vdagent
The xserver-xorg-video-qxl package is also needed but that's pulled in by the xorg metapackage and so should already be installed in most systems.

Installing the Guest

First create a directory to work in:

mkdir ~/qemu
If this is on a btrfs filesystem then be sure to disable copy-on-write for that directory to prevent image corruption:

# chattr +C ~/qemu
Now create a disk image, this example uses 30GiB with the raw format (use qcow2 for a smaller image size at the cost of some I/O):

cd ~/qemu
qemu-img create -f raw disk.img 30G
And finally run the virtual machine with the disk & ISO image attached (2GiB of RAM are assigned in this example):

kvm -m 2G -drive file=~/qemu/disk.img,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio -cdrom /path/to/example.iso -boot order=d
That should pop up a QEMU screen running the installer, follow the usual installation steps and make sure that /dev/vda is selected as the bootloader target (it will offer /dev/fd0 as the default choice, which is the floppy drive).

Running the Guest

The guest can be run with a fairly simple qemu-system invocation (as when the system was being installed but without the ISO image):

kvm -m 2G -drive file=~/qemu/disk.img,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio
But for a shared clipboard and automatic desktop resizing a SPICE viewer is needed, for Debian this is provided by the virt-viewer package and the remote-viewer(1) command.

These options will launch QEMU for a SPICE viewer with a shared clipboard:

kvm -m 2G \
    -cpu host \
    -soundhw hda \
    -drive file=~/qemu/disk.img,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio \
    -vga qxl \
    -device virtio-serial-pci \
    -device virtserialport,chardev=spicechannel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0 \
    -chardev spicevmc,id=spicechannel0,name=vdagent \
    -spice unix,addr=/tmp/vm_spice.socket,disable-ticketing \
    &
And this will connect the viewer:

remote-viewer "spice+unix:///tmp/vm_spice.socket"
Shared folder

There are several options for folder sharing under QEMU but here we are going to use Plan 9 folder sharing over Virtio because it doesn't need any servers running and it's the most l33t option by far.

Details here: https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9psetup

Debian's kernel has all the required configuration so we just need to add these options (just before the ampersand line in the qemu-system command):

-fsdev local,id=qemu_dev,path=/home/$user/Public,security_model=none \
    -device virtio-9p-pci,fsdev=qemu_dev,mount_tag=qemu_mount \
^ That shares ~/Public, replace $user with the actual username.

Then create a shared folder on the guest:

# mkdir /shared
Correct the ownership so your normal user can access it (replace "$user" with the actual username):

# chown -R $user:$user /shared
And add this line to /etc/fstab in the guest to mount it automatically on demand:

qemu_mount /shared 9p rw,sync,dirsync,access=client,trans=virtio,x-systemd.automount 0 0
USB device passthrough

Details here: https://www.spice-space.org/usbredir.html

So for USB 3.0 support (two ports) we add these options:

-device nec-usb-xhci,id=usb \
    -chardev spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev1 \
    -device usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev1,id=usbredirdev1 \
    -chardev spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev2 \
    -device usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev2,id=usbredirdev2 \
Launching the Guest

So now we can put all these options together in a launch script, for this we will use a file at /usr/bin/virt-launch with this content (again, replace $user with the actual username):

#!/bin/sh
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm \
                   -m 2G \
                   -cpu host \
                   -smp cores=4 \
                   -drive file=/home/$user/qemu/disk.img,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio \
                   -soundhw hda \
                   -vga qxl \
                   -device virtio-serial-pci \
                   -device virtserialport,chardev=spicechannel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0 \
                   -chardev spicevmc,id=spicechannel0,name=vdagent \
                   -spice unix,addr=/tmp/vm_spice.socket,disable-ticketing \
                   -device nec-usb-xhci,id=usb \
                   -chardev spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev1 \
                   -device usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev1,id=usbredirdev1 \
                   -chardev spicevmc,name=usbredir,id=usbredirchardev2 \
                   -device usb-redir,chardev=usbredirchardev2,id=usbredirdev2 \
                   -fsdev local,id=qemu_dev,path=/home/$user/Public,security_model=none \
                   -device virtio-9p-pci,fsdev=qemu_dev,mount_tag=qemu_mount \
                   &
remote-viewer "spice+unix:///tmp/vm_spice.socket"
Now make the file exectable:

# chmod +x /usr/local/bin/virt-launch
Once that's done the VM & viewer can be started with the virt-launch command.

For an XDG-compliant menu entry use a file at /usr/local/share/applications/virt-launch.desktop with this content:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Virtual Machine
Comment=Start QEMU/KVM with ~/qemu/disk.img
Exec=/usr/local/bin/virt-launcher
Categories=System;
Happy virtualisation! :)
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2020-01-01 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

Bulkley

Re: KVM from the command line

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Thank you.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Question: does any of this depend on systemd? Spice-vdagent comes to mind. I don't know if systemd is directly or indirectly required. I've also had problems with USB redirect. Openrc is running on this machine.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bulkley wrote:Question: does any of this depend on systemd?
The only bit of the guide that uses systemd is the /etc/fstab line in the guest, which uses the x-systemd.automount option to only mount the shared folder on demand.

I've just tested virtual versions of MX-19 and antiX-19 and they both mount the shared folder just fine without systemd but it's always mounted rather than just on demand. The spice-vdagent daemon runs in both so automatic resizing works.
deadbang

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

In my previous experiments with VMs MX and Sid share while Antix and Devuan do not. They all have spice-vdagent. Antix and Devuan do not have systemd0.

I've been working my way through your instructions. Bunsen Labs Helium live CD booted beautifully. Install bogged down my old machine to the point that nothing ran. I'll try again later.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

Something's missing or I'm doing something wrong. Before proceeding:

~$ LC_ALL=C lscpu | grep Virtualization
Virtualization:        VT-x
I tried Bl Helium, two versions of Antix and two versions of MX.

kvm -m 4G -drive file=~/qemu/disk.img,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio -cdrom /home/bob/Downloads/[whichever].iso
does a beautiful job of bringing up the iso and running the live version. When installing, whether from the live version or directly from the boot menu, it proceeds for a few minutes and then bogs down my system to the point that I have to REISUB and reboot. We're rowing the boat but someone dropped the anchor.

As a test, I did a fresh VM install of MX using Boxes. It installed promptly. I did a few of my fresh install chores including installing spice-vdagent and easily shared. No problem. No slowing down of bogging the system. No anchor.

My system is Stretch. Does Buster install something I'm missing? I installed xserver-xorg-video-qxl but it made no difference.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bulkley wrote:When installing, whether from the live version or directly from the boot menu, it proceeds for a few minutes and then bogs down my system to the point that I have to REISUB and reboot.
How much system memory do you have? I think boxes assigns 2GiB by default but my command uses 4GiB, which may leave the host with too little memory.
deadbang

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:How much system memory do you have? I think boxes assigns 2GiB by default but my command uses 4GiB, which may leave the host with too little memory.
Good call; I have 4GiB.

Good call. This works.

kvm -m 2G -drive file=~/qemu/disk.img,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio -cdrom /home/bob/Downloads/MX-18.2_x64.iso
MX up and running. Thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've changed the OP to use 2GiB instead of 4, that should still be enough for just about anything.
deadbang

barlafuss

#10 Post by barlafuss »

Very interesting topic. Following.
Thanks !

Dai_trying

#11 Post by Dai_trying »

I have been using QEMU/KVM for a little while now and certainly found this thread useful (thank you Hoas), I have been using virt-manager as when I first started with QEMU I was having a lot of problems (due to my lack of knowledge) and found that virt-manager was similar enough to VirtualBox to be more familiar, and could get me started quicker.
Since this was posted I have found that when launching a QEMU instance (using virt-manager) I can search ps for the running process (ps aux | grep qemu) and it will give me all the options that have been used to start it (example output below), I have found this to be very helpful in setting some of the other parameters that can be useful when running VM's.

libvirt+  1720  102  0.4 4897316 73736 ?       Sl   09:55   0:42 /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -name guest=lamp01,debug-threads=on -S -object secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-1-lamp01/master-key.aes -machine pc-q35-3.1,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off,dump-guest-core=off -cpu Skylake-Client-IBRS,ss=on,hypervisor=on,tsc_adjust=on,clflushopt=on,umip=on,md-clear=on,ssbd=on,xsaves=on,pdpe1gb=on -m 4096 -realtime mlock=off -smp 2,sockets=2,cores=1,threads=1 -uuid 96a874fa-523c-4a84-8d73-9eef86f47803 -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=26,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -no-shutdown -global ICH9-LPC.disable_s3=1 -global ICH9-LPC.disable_s4=1 -boot strict=on -device pcie-root-port,port=0x10,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x2 -device pcie-root-port,port=0x11,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x1 -device pcie-root-port,port=0x12,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x2 -device pcie-root-port,port=0x13,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x3 -device pcie-root-port,port=0x14,chassis=5,id=pci.5,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x4 -device pcie-root-port,port=0x15,chassis=6,id=pci.6,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x5 -device pcie-root-port,port=0x16,chassis=7,id=pci.7,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x6 -device qemu-xhci,p2=15,p3=15,id=usb,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0 -drive file=/home/dai/VirtualMachines/lamp.qcow2,format=qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk0 -device virtio-blk-pci,scsi=off,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0,drive=drive-virtio-disk0,id=virtio-disk0,bootindex=1 -drive if=none,id=drive-sata0-0-0,media=cdrom,readonly=on -device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-0,id=sata0-0-0 -netdev tap,fd=28,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=29 -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:ed:f6:50,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=30,server,nowait -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -chardev spicevmc,id=charchannel1,name=vdagent -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=2,chardev=charchannel1,id=channel1,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 -spice port=5900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing,image-compression=off,seamless-migration=on -device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 -device ich9-intel-hda,id=sound0,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1b -device hda-duplex,id=sound0-codec0,bus=sound0.0,cad=0 -chardev spicevmc,id=charredir0,name=usbredir -device usb-redir,chardev=charredir0,id=redir0,bus=usb.0,port=2 -chardev spicevmc,id=charredir1,name=usbredir -device usb-redir,chardev=charredir1,id=redir1,bus=usb.0,port=3 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.5,addr=0x0 -object rng-random,id=objrng0,filename=/dev/urandom -device virtio-rng-pci,rng=objrng0,id=rng0,bus=pci.6,addr=0x0 -sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny -msg timestamp=on
And just to note that this example output is in no way fine tuned, it is a machine I set up quickly to test something and so most options are default (for virt manager).

Hopefully soon with the help of Howto's like this (and plenty of search-fu) I will become more proficient and could do away with some of the extra packages that I currently have had to install.

eor2004

#12 Post by eor2004 »

Thanks HoaS for this guide, very interesting, been looking to try a VM alternative other than Virtualbox! :)
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Lecram

#13 Post by Lecram »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Debian offers two graphical front-end management programs for use with QEMU/KVM — gnome-boxes and virt-manager — but these both pull in lots of extra dependencies and run autostarted system daemons that may not be needed at all if the qemu-system command is run directly from the command line, or from shell functions and scripts.
There is also an another GUI option for QEMU called qemu-system-gui in the repo. In my testing VGA with std and qxl option cannot maximize properly and only virtio option could do that.

Head_on_a_Stick

#14 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Lecram wrote:qemu-system-gui
That's the GTK window for use without SPICE or VNC, it's not a management GUI like gnome-boxes or virt-viewer.
deadbang

k829king

#15 Post by k829king »

What is the command line for qemu-system-gui ?
Is it the same thing as when you click Open from the Virtual Machine Manager ( virt-manager) ?
Reason for asking is I'm finding that when I click Open I can see the initial grub menu and or sometimes the usual startup messages but it seems to always go blank/black/freeze and I need to close it and it I click Open again and it is then on the signon screen and all okay from then on. Are there alternative ways to access the VM, or would that need setting up VNC or RDP?

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

k829king wrote:What is the command line for qemu-system-gui ?
The GTK window provided by that package is the default unless you specify a viewer.
k829king wrote:Is it the same thing as when you click Open from the Virtual Machine Manager ( virt-manager) ?
No idea, I don't use virt-manager. That interface is off-topic for this thread.
k829king wrote:Are there alternative ways to access the VM
Yes, read the OP.
deadbang