How old is "new" ("Debian stable on new hardware = trouble")

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

How old is "new" ("Debian stable on new hardware = trouble")

Postby pastic » 2020-01-13 08:11

It is frequently stated that Debian Stable will not play well with new hardware and that one should expect troubles. But how old is "new" in that respect? Is it possible to say anything general about how long one needs to wait after CPU or mobo release for Debian Stable work with that hardware? Is there a compatibility list or something or is it just a question of searching forums for peoples experiences?

I just moved to Buster Cinnamon from Mint and I thought I would settle down with Debian (having switched to Linux two years ago), but now the PC-upgrade urge is hitting me and I would like to replace my 10-year old x58/i7-950 platform with something akin to b450/Ryzen 3600. B450 has been out since 2018 but the CPU came out last summer. Or if I wait for upcoming B550 motherboards this summer, how long might it take until Debian Stable would get support for those (based on previous experience or something like that).

I don't think I would want to switch to Testing since I am security minded and Testing is said to get security patches "a bit late".
pastic

Re: How old is "new" ("Debian stable on new hardware = troub

Postby Chrisdb » 2020-01-13 09:21

Chrisdb

Re: How old is "new" ("Debian stable on new hardware = troub

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-01-13 17:13

Any hardware released after the testing branch is frozen (in preparation for the transition to stable) will probably not be well supported.

Debian buster was frozen in January 2019: https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Beginners Questions