Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Remote control a distant android phone on a local and

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
satimis

Remote control a distant android phone on a local and

#1 Post by satimis »

Hi,

I need to remote control a distant android phone (say phone-A) on a local android phone (say phone-B). Both phones are NOT connected to Internet nor WiFi network. I have been googling several days reading documents searched but can't find solution. Would AirMore be my choice? Using Hotspot or Bluetooth? But the former sill needs WiFi connection.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Regards
satimis

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remote control a distant android phone on a local and

#2 Post by sunrat »

Are you planning to cheat at Ingress? (or Pokemon Go or Wizards Unite etc.) :mrgreen:

I don't have an answer but you need a connection between them and I think you will need wifi or internet. Not sure about Bluetooth but you said "distant" which disqualifies Bluetooth.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

satimis

#3 Post by satimis »

sunrat wrote:Are you planning to cheat at Ingress? (or Pokemon Go or Wizards Unite etc.) :mrgreen:

I don't have an answer but you need a connection between them and I think you will need wifi or internet. Not sure about Bluetooth but you said "distant" which disqualifies Bluetooth.
What I intend to achieve is for taking photos and video, using phone-B to control phone-A, the camera. The screen of phone-A will be cast on phone-B so that I can operate the function/feature of phone-A, the camera, on the screen of phone-B. Both phones are NOT connected to Internet. The distance between 2 phone is only about 3 feet, mounted on both ends of a monopod.

In my previous searching I was aware that it is possible using WiFi. But on open ground there is no WiFi service provided. I wonder whether it would be possible using Bluetooth to get the job done.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

I still don't know about Bluetooth.
You could set up both phones to connect to a virtual router or portable wifi router/hotspot device. Virtual router software can be set up to use a laptop as a router. You could do it with one phone and the laptop, running something like AirDroid on the laptop.
It's also possible to directly connect 2 Android phones with WiFi Direct.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

satimis

#5 Post by satimis »

sunrat wrote:I still don't know about Bluetooth.
You could set up both phones to connect to a virtual router or portable wifi router/hotspot device. Virtual router software can be set up to use a laptop as a router. You could do it with one phone and the laptop, running something like AirDroid on the laptop.
It's also possible to directly connect 2 Android phones with WiFi Direct.
Thanks for your reply.

It is possible to do it inside house and there are many solutions on Internet. But outside house, in open ground, there is no WiFi service provided. I'm now considering using Tethering, i.e. one phone with Internet access and sharing the network to another phone without Internet access.

satimis

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

You don't need internet for this to work. Just make one phone an access point and connect the second to it. This is WiFi without a router since one phone is now a router

satimis

#7 Post by satimis »

pylkko wrote:You don't need internet for this to work. Just make one phone an access point and connect the second to it. This is WiFi without a router since one phone is now a router
Thanks for your advice.

What app I need to install? How can they find each other?

Portable WiFi Hotspot?

I couldn't find WiFi tethering? Bluetooth tethering is available

Edit-1
=====

I found the solution with following steps;

On the remote/distant phone:
1. Enable Mobile Hotspot
2. tap "Mobile Hotspot"
The name of the device/phone and password are displayed there.

On the local phone:
1. Settings -> Connections -> WiFi
The distant phone is displayed there
Enter password

That is all

Edit-2
======

Still "Mobile Hotspot" needs a SIM card to work. If without a SIM card on the mobile phone "Mobile Hotspot" can't be enabled. Similarly "Bluetooth tethering" won't work without a SIM card. Both of them are for Internet sharing.

Regards
satimis

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

When you make an access point, it works as a wifi router, so you can just connect to that. This is not something that you need to install, it is in the operating system itself. I did not know that you need to have a sim card in android to be able to do this. I know that you can connect to an access point on an Android phone that does not have internet, or where the modem is swithced off. However, I never tried physically removing the card.

If this is the case, then you either need a router (any linux computer can work as one) or you need to use bluetooth. There are protocols for sending commands from one computer to another over bluetooth (serial over bluetooth) and with bluetooth low energy, you can even send data without pairing. But, these are more involved, you probably would need to write a python script, I suspect that there are no "ready made apps" for this (although I have not checked). Also, you will not be able to see the image of the first camera in real time on the second one (live video stream) because the bluetooth bandwidth is not enough for video. But you could make a control panel which sends the commands to take a photo a remote shutter button).

This would be a piece of cake with a raspberry pi, where it is so simple to modify the software. I could even write basic instructions, but this all would require you to have an rpi and a camera.

Another option could be to make a portable router. This is fairly trivial also, because all you need is a computer that runs on battery with linux.

satimis

#9 Post by satimis »

pylkko wrote:When you make an access point, it works as a wifi router, so you can just connect to that. This is not something that you need to install, it is in the operating system itself. I did not know that you need to have a sim card in android to be able to do this. I know that you can connect to an access point on an Android phone that does not have internet, or where the modem is swithced off. However, I never tried physically removing the card.
I have 2 Samsung mobile phones, one with a SIM card to connect Internet and another one without. I tried the 1st one and it worked but the 2nd one didn't. (my spare phone)
If this is the case, then you either need a router (any linux computer can work as one) or you need to use bluetooth. There are protocols for sending commands from one computer to another over bluetooth (serial over bluetooth) and with bluetooth low energy, you can even send data without pairing. But, these are more involved, you probably would need to write a python script, I suspect that there are no "ready made apps" for this (although I have not checked). Also, you will not be able to see the image of the first camera in real time on the second one (live video stream) because the bluetooth bandwidth is not enough for video. But you could make a control panel which sends the commands to take a photo a remote shutter button).

This would be a piece of cake with a raspberry pi, where it is so simple to modify the software. I could even write basic instructions, but this all would require you to have an rpi and a camera.

Another option could be to make a portable router. This is fairly trivial also, because all you need is a computer that runs on battery with linux.
I'm exploring phone-to-phone direct connection via WiFi or Bluetooth without additional device.

I found following link;
Sync between two Android devices without Internet connection
https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... connection

They were also trying to do similar test as now I'm doing. One folk suggested running;
Have a look at http://www.fjsoft.at/en/
Mobile - MyPhoneExplorer
https://www.fosshub.com/MyPhoneExplorer.html

I'll go through the document first before taking a test on my Samsung Galaxy S6+ (a spare phone)

satimis

#10 Post by satimis »

Hi all,

Performed following test;

Internet access is a MUST !

Phone-A
Host Phone (with SIM card to connect Internet)
(enable "Mobile Hotspot Tethering)
install
TeamViewer Control Remote Device

Phone-B
Client Phone (to be controlled)(without SIM card)
install
TeamViewer QuickSupport
and
Add-On: Medion X5004

Remote-control Phone-B on Phone-A works without problem.

It is possible reversing them, Phone-A as Client Phone and Phone-B as Host Phone.

I'm still struggling to find a solution with Bluetooth, i.e Phone-to-Phone without Internet access.

Regards
satimis

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

Did you check out WiFi Direct which I mentioned above?
https://www.androidpit.com/what-is-wifi-direct
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

I'm a little surprised 'they' haven't come up with a virtual modem program for packaging data for use over a 'voice' connection. Do it like we did ppp 20 years ago before 'data' became a thing, without the need for the rubber glove fitting the modem speaker and mic to the phone. I carry a voice only phone. It can do BT or wifi ad hoc device to device, thought they all could?

satimis

#13 Post by satimis »

sunrat wrote:Did you check out WiFi Direct which I mentioned above?
https://www.androidpit.com/what-is-wifi-direct
No, each time TeamViewer will provide an IP address for users to login and connect the remote phone. Therefore Internet access is a MUST

On my searching, I haven't discovered an app working phone-to-phone.

satimis

pylkko

#14 Post by pylkko »

Previously on this forum the moderators have stated that it is only for Debian-related discussion, so I find it surprising that this kind of discussion is permitted here, and I seriously doubt that this is the best place. There just isn't that much expertise and many users have quite negative additudes (rightly so!) towards android and "mobile devices". Maybe you should ask in an android forum?
satimis wrote: I have 2 Samsung mobile phones, one with a SIM card to connect Internet and another one without. I tried the 1st one and it worked but the 2nd one didn't. (my spare phone)
I don't understand how you tried one wihout the other, when you were describing using them together to form the network?
I'm exploring phone-to-phone direct connection via WiFi or Bluetooth without additional device.
Look up the bluetooth spec and realize that this is essentially impossible. Also, the link you post is close to a decade old and Android has had quite a number of new versions since. You should be more critical when reading random opinions online.
CwF wrote:I'm a little surprised 'they' haven't come up with a virtual modem program for packaging data for use over a 'voice' connection.
not sure whether this is relevant here, as the OP wants to not have sim card, which would exclude GSM also.
satimis wrote: No, each time TeamViewer will provide an IP address for users to login and connect the remote phone. Therefore Internet access is a MUST

This sentence makes no sense to me. Are you maybe confusing networks and internet and some how thinking that an IP-address is only possible when you have internet access?
On my searching, I haven't discovered an app working phone-to-phone.
There probably are few people that would want to do this. Android phones are used by the majority for other kinds of things. A very small minority wants to remote control a smart phone. Those that do, either have internet or a LAN. How many users can there exist that want to remote control a smart phone without internet? So, no ready-made solution is likely, you're going to have to hack.

Actually, it is quite hard to understand why you want to do this. Let's start with the fact that you say that you want to remote control a phone that is a few feet away? So, if I am understanding it, you want to be able to use the touch display as a user interface on phone A to control phone B, which is a few feet away to take photos. Why?

Consider also that you do not need wireless for such a short distance. You could just use a USB-mouse for the control part. Then you would only need to send the contents of the screen from one phone to another, and not need a full remote user session. This would be significantly easier. You could even probably use a physical mirror to cast the screen of the first phone and activate the shutter using a USB mouse. Low tech solution. IF that is what you want

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

One thing I know works because I have done it, is install AirDroid on the phone, connect phone and computer to a wifi router. You can control camera from the computer. Probably doesn't even need internet or mobile data connection.
Connecting 2 phones sounds more tricky but you haven't tried WiFi Direct as I suggested. It's been in Android since KitKat. I haven't tried that either but if you won't use methods that are known to work, you are now an adventurer and have to discover your own path. :wink:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

satimis

#16 Post by satimis »

Have tried WiFi direct. It works connecting both phone-A (the camera) and phone-B (remote controller) with the name of them displayed. But both TeamViewer and AnyDesk couldn't work to connect the phones because they need IP address assigned by the server of the developer for connection. I think I need finding an app which doesn't need IP address for connecting Host and Client.

lorigrimes

#17 Post by lorigrimes »

You cannot run a hotspot Host without an internet signal to route. This could be straight up internet connection or WiFi.
They aren't walkie-talkies and even the hotspot only turns the device into a sort of WiFi tower.
For that matter, I currently have an unlimited data plan on my phone and am denied the hotspot function by my service provider. I imagine this is the case with other providers as well.
But even an active hotspot tether will not allow you to control one device remotely with the other. What you are actually trying to do is connect the devices in a network. You will have to either pair them or use something like AirDroid. Even then you need a signal from Host to Client, via internet, WiFi, or USB cable.

satimis

#18 Post by satimis »

Following setup already works for me;

Phone-A
Host Phone - as controller (with SIM card to connect Internet)
enable "Mobile Hotspot Tethering"
App installed;
TeamViewer Control Remote Device

Phone-B
Client Phone - camera (to be controlled)(without SIM card)
App installed;
TeamViewer QuickSupport
and
Add-On: Medion X5004

I can control the camera remotely including the fine-setting features. I wonder whether it is possible without Internet only with Wifi. With Wifi Direct app I can connect the phones without problem. But how to remote-control the camera I need to explore further. I'll try screen casting app later to see whether it works?

pylkko

#19 Post by pylkko »

lorigrimes wrote:You cannot run a hotspot Host without an internet signal to route. This could be straight up internet connection or WiFi.
I really wonder why the makers of Android decided on this, it's weird. Also, I believe it is even more restricted, because it says "will turn of wifi and loose connection. do you want to proceed", which suggests to me that the only conditions under which you can use Android hotsopt is when one phone has mobile internet (not wifi like you suggest).
For that matter, I currently have an unlimited data plan on my phone and am denied the hotspot function by my service provider.
Have never seen this before, but not surprised with all the asshole-design in Android.

I wonder if you root it, can you then get these functions back? Or if you command the back-end directly (may require rooting).

But even an active hotspot tether will not allow you to control one device remotely with the other.
Correct me if I am wrong, but when you use "hotspot" you are in effect making an ad-doc network. At least when I connect to the hotspot of my android phone, I get an IP and can move files over ftp. If this is the case, then many software that work with internet (tcp/ip) will work right out of the box. I just never realizes that if I take out the sim, it will no longer be able to move files wirelessly over ad hoc networks. Makes no sense to me. Do you know why this is? Is it a safety thing?

lorigrimes

#20 Post by lorigrimes »

Do you know why this is? Is it a safety thing?
It's a data plan that prevents me.
I could use the hotspot feature as long as I had a limited amount of mobile data.
And I can still very much connect to a Wifi or another hotspot with this phone.
But when I switched to the unlimited plan Verizon restricted the use of this phone as a hotspot, telling me that I have to subscribe to that service.
Guess they want to make sure they are getting paid for the usage.