Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Install Debian 10

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
asultani

New Install Debian 10

#1 Post by asultani »

Hello Everyone, and thanks for the response in advance. I a noob and just build a new PC and want to install Debian 10 and want to know which ISO to use and which route should I take.

Here is the spec of my new PC.

Intel i9900k CPU
1 TB Sumsung NVME
8 Gig Nvidia 2080TI
32 Gig DDR 3300 MHZ

I am building this pc for my work which includes programming, mainly python, django, postrgreSQL and AI. Will I have any issues with the install of Debian 10 or everything will work out of the box. I want a reliable OS, to get ahead with my work.

Once again thanks for the advise.

Dai_trying

Re: New Install Debian 10

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

You will likely have problems as Debian generally will not give you a full OOTB ready solution, maybe you would be better of with a Debian derivative like MxLinux or one of the many others out there. Even Ubuntu might be a better fit for you if you need OOTB ready " to get ahead with my work" system without having to think about system stuff.

With Debian you will not get any proprietary drivers or firmware installed OOTB, you will have to do a little work to find and install them (if needed) which appears to be the most common complaint, and new systems are often better served with the testing version which would give you a little less stability (many people report it works good enough but YMMV) but better support for new hardware.

arzgi

Re: New Install Debian 10

#3 Post by arzgi »

There are unofficial Debian installers, which include firmwares: https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... -firmware/

But as Dai_trying said, it's a bit complicated because your hw is newer than stable Debian 10. You might get it working, at least partially after enabling backports, other solution may be more straight forward.