Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Think i got a bad situation with apt

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Eazy

Think i got a bad situation with apt

#1 Post by Eazy »

Hi all!
I upgraded to testing a week ago and all was fine. Today when i check updates with Synaptic I see two packages to upgrade but they does not got selected when I click the buttons to check all upgradeable packages. If I manually select them for upgrade it wants to remove packages I think is not good to uninstall. I made a screenshot of it:

I guess I have made some stupid choice removing packages from KDE I do not use.

How can I resolve this?
Last edited by Eazy on 2020-01-22 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Think i got a bad situation with apt

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Please remove that oversized image and post the output of these commands instead:

Code: Select all

LC_ALL=C apt -s upgrade
LC_ALL=C apt policy
Be sure to use code tags when posting the output.
deadbang

eor2004

#3 Post by eor2004 »

@ OP, Hi, I'm wondering why you use synaptic to upgrade and not the terminal with apt update and apt upgrade, I'm just curious!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Eazy wrote:I upgraded to testing . . .
Just a reminder that Testing is not an upgrade; it is for testing. It frequently breaks.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

And it helps a lot to have some proficiency with the command-line apt/aptitude commands if you're testing or running unstable.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

fuse3 replaces fuse. The other packages are no longer in testing or unstable as they were Qt4 packages which Debian is removing systematically as Qt4 is replaced by Qt5. Let them be removed. You may need to install phonon-backend-vlc for sound.

You can't expect testing to be useable all the time, it will break things occasionally. Best not to use it unless you are quite familiar with Debian, are actually testing and not worried about breakage, and are keen to report any bugs you find.
And yes, what Head_on_a_Stick said - don't post large images of text. If you post the actual text instead, it can be found with search and may help other people.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Eazy

#7 Post by Eazy »

Thank you for your answer!
Think I just leave the packages where they are. Have installed Superkaramba manually and I think it will break if I uninstall something it might use as QT4 (I think). They wont get updated anyway.

If we want to talk about other thing then my question. I use Synaptic because i like it and simple to use, to keep track of installed packages and search for them. Been using Debian for ten years or so and so I know what to expect. I usually use stable but i had problems with Nextcloud client acting up so I thought I might give testing a chance.

About the large image. Welcome to the world of internet. It is full of images!

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Eazy wrote:Think I just leave the packages where they are.
The errors may indicate a deeper problem with your system, if you post the requested output it should show any that exist.

But then again you're now running testing and that is designed to break randomly so why should we bother? The good news is you get to keep the pieces when it breaks.
Eazy wrote:About the large image. Welcome to the world of internet. It is full of images!
Your consideration for forum users with limited bandwidth and the owners of the servers providing these boards is heartening.
deadbang

Eazy

#9 Post by Eazy »

its ok. I'll take my questions elsewhere in the future. If its wrong to post a picture on this forum they should not allow it. I really don't like it here and I hesitated to post my question here in the first place. This is not a happy place. I'll ask for my account to be deleted unless i can do it myself.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

Eazy wrote:its ok. I'll take my questions elsewhere in the future. If its wrong to post a picture on this forum they should not allow it. I really don't like it here and I hesitated to post my question here in the first place. This is not a happy place. I'll ask for my account to be deleted unless i can do it myself.
You got useful advice and answers and chose to ignore them. And then were slightly confrontational about the image request. How do you expect other posters to react?
There are all types of people here from grumpy old blokes to people who act like eager puppies. Between them is a lot of knowledge, and nice questions usually receive nice answers. You make your own bed here and have to lie in it. And remember everyone volunteers their own time, it's not an official Debian forum.

Welcome to the world of internet.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!