Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox and Firefox ESR crash at startup - Debian Sid

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
giaur500

Firefox and Firefox ESR crash at startup - Debian Sid

#1 Post by giaur500 »

After some recent dist-upgrade, Firefox not starting anymore. It crashes at startup and it only shows window to ask if I want to send report to Mozilla. Nothing interesing in console:

Code: Select all

firefox
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 28580
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
Any ideas? Chorme/Chromium both are fine. Firefox from Debian repo. I tried to delete profile folder to reset all settings, but still it crashes.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Firefox and Firefox ESR crash at startup - Debian Sid

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

giaur500 wrote:Any ideas?
Use Debian stable instead. Or wait a bit and then upgrade again.
deadbang

giaur500

#3 Post by giaur500 »

Use Debian stable instead. Or wait a bit and then upgrade again.
Well, that answers all questions asked on this forums. Thread to close?

BTW, now I know that's caused by sqlite bug. However, answers like "use stable instead" are not useful, unless there's explictly said, that questions related to Sid are not allowed here.Then you can close anything related to Sid with comment "use stable instead".

L_V

#4 Post by L_V »

can you clarify some points

apt list 'firefox*' --installed
firefox --version
If you launch firefox like this, does it crash ?

MOZILLA_DISABLE_PLUGINS=1 firefox -safe-mode -profile $(mktemp -d /tmp/tmp-firefox-profile-XXXXXXXXXX) about:blank

giaur500

#5 Post by giaur500 »

Latest Firefox from sid. None of above helps. But, it's not Firefox bug, it's caused by recent sqlite update. For now, I reverted sqlite3 version until they fix it.

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

"latest, current, previous" is a terminology which is not very usefull for SID. Each day is a new day.
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/ ... _changelog
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=949644

This should at least help to clarify your "current" version (assuming you don't know which one was the "latest").

apt list '*sqlite*' --installed

giaur500

#7 Post by giaur500 »

Calm down, it's clear and should be solved soon: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=949644

But I'll tell you what - as always, no help from this forums, the only reposne I got is „use stable”, wtf.
"latest, current, previous" is a terminology which is not very usefull for SID. Each day is a new day.
Well, I can tell you about my thinking path. I can assume, that some people used to do dist-upgrade every day on Sid, so I asked if anygody got the same bug after dist-upgrade. That should be enough to confirn/not confirm if anybody is affected with the same issue or not. But ok, maybe I should clarify which versions I have.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

Must have been specific to libsqlite3-0-3.30.1+fossil191229-1 combined with Firefox 72.0.2 . My system has the same version of libsqlite3-0 but Firefox 72.0.1-1 and I've had no crashes. I just ran update and available versions are libsqlite3-0:3.31.0+really3.30.1+fossil191229-1 and firefox:72.0.2-1
It's reported to be fixed in the bug report. Just doing full-upgrade now so we'll see. Just another day in the life of Sid. :)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

L_V

#9 Post by L_V »

giaur500 wrote:I can assume, that some people used to do dist-upgrade every day on Sid,.
You are then wrong: just an assumption, and a day is 24 hours.
The only way to report a problem is to be at least able to report exact versions used, especially for SID and even testing.
It always seems so difficult to some people to report exact versions used that it looks that "Still In Development" is not understood.
Is it so difficult to report feedback of this ?

apt list --installed '*sqlite*' 'firefox*'
If answer is yes, don't use SID, or make an effort to track packages.
https://tracker.debian.org/

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

giaur500 wrote:the only reposne I got is „use stable”
I gave two possible solutions actually. Waiting a bit is sometimes the best option and the fact that you didn't seem to appreciate that suggested to me that perhaps you shouldn't be running sid. That branch is intended for competent users who can contribute to Debian development rather than clueless fools who spam the forums unnecessarily at the first sign of any problems.
deadbang