Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Broadcom Wireless driver, how to

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
purple

Install Broadcom Wireless driver, how to

#1 Post by purple »

I am trying to install the most recent Debian to a mid 2009 17 inch Mac Book Pro. LSPCI yields Broadcom 4322 14e4:43b Rev 01.

The suggestion on the install as to what the install files should be do not come up in a search.

I see different notes on how to install. Which reflects the variety of different Broadcom drivers there are out there. On one page I see a b43-fwcutter-4_19amd64.deb. The page did not show an accompanying install file. I see the fw-cutter is a program to do the install. I see another note which says to do the install the computer should be online (???) Which must mean to have the ethernet plugged in, but there is no explanation as to why. I also see another web page in which some part of the install program, maybe including fw-cutter should be open on an USB key.

For one thing, this is a complaint, this process should not be so oddly difficult. Why is there not a program to in the basic Debian install that will identify the needed driver, and use an Ethernet connection to get the files, and then install them. Might have the user to make a decision of which install to use, the one that is based off Windows, or a open source version versus the closed source version.

Personally I do not have at home internet, and it is difficult enough to get onto someone else's Ethernet cable for even a few minutes. So I am stuck with trying to work on this issue from another computer.

The live versions of Linux pretty much seem to work with the aformentioned installed Broadcom Adapter. Is it possible to simply copy the relevant files from the Live Linux version, which works to the correct place in Debian? I forgot where that is. I can look that up, and hopefully find the means to copy, not make sym-links.

I have an Ra-Link Wireless Dongle, which seems to work everywhere in Linux, but the Basic Install of Buster does not show it. I am guessing there is somewhere in Buster I could activate it.

Would it matter if I gave the install the second and third DVD's of Debian? I really do not want every piece of software for Debian.

I would have to rate Debian itself, although to base of many other distros, to be unfriendly to newcomers.

stevepusser

Re: Install Broadcom Wireless driver, how to

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Your comment is not anything new, nor will it make any difference in Debian policy. It's been hashed over umpteen million times here already.

Almost every wi-fi device out there requires non-free firmware, regardless if the driver is already in the kernel. Debian's commitment to have only free, libre software by default means that almost all wi-fi won't work out-of-the-box with the default Debian ISO images.

Debian does provide alternative ISO images that include most non-free firmware for users such as yourself, though. Broadcom devices that need the broadcom-sta "wl" driver still won't work OOTB, though.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

purple wrote:this is a complaint
Well send it to Broadcom instead then. And this is a user forum so nobody here cares about your whining.
deadbang

purple

#4 Post by purple »

The issue is also, Debian could make it easier to index the problem, whether Broadcom could work or not is not just issue for me. Instead I spend hours searching codes that do not return on the Debian website. Indexing Debian downloads to the code I get on LS... that would be a big help.

Also be interesting to know which chipsets work with the basic Debian Install. Then I could complain that those who sell Wireless Dongles do not list chipsets on some of their sales pages.

I would like to see the world go to Linux instead of M$. Attitudes of just how the Debian installs something, what should be direct, Wireless, and on the forum, is why M$ continues to rule. The average person will not spend hours trying to schuss out problems.

and your reply is another reason why people run away from Linux.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

purple wrote:Debian could make it easier to index the problem
Debian is intended for competent GNU/Linux users, other distributions do a fine job of catering to Windows refugees, perhaps try one of those instead? There's no shame, that's how I started.
purple wrote:which chipsets work with the basic Debian Install
You will have trouble finding wireless devices that are compliant with Debian policy. Intel cards are good once the non-free firmware is installed. Broadcom is the worst of all, sell your shitty card and get something better.
purple wrote:your reply is another reason why people run away from Linux.
That's not a bug, it's a feature. I'm sick of ex-Windows users polluting community forums with their entitled attitudes.
deadbang

wino

#6 Post by wino »

for amd 4:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... e+nonfree/

scroll down for your pck of desktop environmants.

these are non-free whcih means that they have other codecs that the pure debian does not have.

I have used them without one issue!

good luck