Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A MAJOR bug in Debian

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
zuspajupso

A MAJOR bug in Debian

#1 Post by zuspajupso »

Hello guys.
There is a bug in Debian that leads you to losing all your disk data in case you use LUKS encryption.
If you have a encrypted disk with LUKS and you run a software that write data to you or you download a big file or you are copying a file from other disk to encrypted disk and space run out - You can get:
a) Notification: space ran out and file get autodeleted
b) Your OS freeze/stuck
In both cases after reboot you will type the correct password to unlock disk, but you will get error: no keyfile with this password.
Maybe it's a bug to all linux systems, I'm not sure.
Is there any way to unlock your disk and save your data ?

Chrisdb

Re: A MAJOR bug in Debian

#2 Post by Chrisdb »

zuspajupso wrote:Hello guys.
There is a bug in Debian that leads you to losing all your disk data in case you use LUKS encryption.
If you have a encrypted disk with LUKS and you run a software that write data to you or you download a big file or you are copying a file from other disk to encrypted disk and space run out - You can get:
b) Your OS freeze/stuck
In both cases after reboot you will type the correct password to unlock disk, but you will get error: no keyfile with this password.
Hello,

Some questions:
- did you perform a clean reboot in both situations?
- what did you do after you got situation 'a' and 'b'? Did you umount the drive(s) correctly?
- in some cases it could be your keyboard layout is misconfigured, did you try entering the password with us layout?
- did you check caps lock

zuspajupso

#3 Post by zuspajupso »

Chrisdb wrote:
zuspajupso wrote:Hello guys.
b) Your OS freeze/stuck
Hello,

Some questions:
- did you perform a clean reboot in both situations?
- what did you do after you got situation 'a' and 'b'? Did you umount the drive(s) correctly?
- in some cases it could be your keyboard layout is misconfigured, did you try entering the password with us layout?
- did you check caps lock
- What means clean reboot ? But I think I perform a clean reboot because I tried it a lot of times. I tried to decrypt from live cd didn't work
- Situation 'a' - Debian said space ran out and file get autodeleted then I reboot as normal using Graphical Interface. Situation 'b' - My OS stuck and I reboot using PC button. This are 2 different OS
- I booted in recovery mode initramfs and tried type text and see it's English and caplocks it's not on. Then tried to mount disk to luks and try to decrypt and I got same error

Chrisdb

#4 Post by Chrisdb »

If you turned off your pc by holding down the powerbutton, it could be that the LUKS header got corrupted.

Do you have a LUKS Header backup? If not, I'm afraid there's not much you can do...

You can also have a look here for troubleshooting
Https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetu ... leshooting