Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] buster new install: xorg config location, no X logs

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mvalsasna

[SOLVED] buster new install: xorg config location, no X logs

#1 Post by mvalsasna »

Hi all,

just installed buster. if it changes anything, I kept my /home partition from the previous stretch installation, while I overwrote the system partitions with the installer (weird issues with packages dependencies).
anything seems fine and most applications picked up their previous configuration.

then, as I have a logitech trackball, I wanted to configure the key mappings.

a) I saved this as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-trackball.conf and /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-trackball.conf, which used to work before
but X does not seem to pick the configuration up. is this the correct place for x server configuration snipplets?

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier  "Marble Mouse"
    MatchProduct "Trackball"
    MatchIsPointer "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9"
    Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
    Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "EmulateWheelInertia" "10"
EndSection
b) I can't find the X logs to troubleshoot. I looked in:
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

but these logs contain only data from startx run I did from the command line in text mode, nothing from the current session. any hints to why I don't have logs?

apparently the X server being run is Xwayland, is this expected?

9012 ? Ssl 0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm3
26242 ? Sl 0:00 \_ gdm-session-worker [pam/gdm-password]
26253 tty7 Ssl+ 0:00 \_ /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wayland-session /usr/bin/gnome-session
26256 tty7 Sl+ 0:00 | \_ /usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-binary
26288 tty7 Rl+ 3:53 | \_ /usr/bin/gnome-shell
26295 tty7 Sl+ 1:52 | | \_ /usr/bin/Xwayland :0 -rootless -terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
27545 tty7 Sl+ 4:14 | | \_ /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr

thanks for any help

MAtteo
Last edited by mvalsasna on 2020-01-29 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

peter_irich

Re: buster new install: xorg config location, no X logs

#2 Post by peter_irich »

Xorg.0.log may be in some directory in /var/log, depends of DE. Just try find it:

find /var/log -name Xorg.0.log
Peter.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wayland does not read X.Org configuration files, nor does it produce an X.Org log file. It is only possible to adjust configuration with the tools supplied by the desktop (AFAIK).

If you select the X session for GNOME in the login screen (click on the cog-wheel icon) then it will parse the configuration file and leave the logs under ~/.local/share/xorg/ (because GDM runs X under the normal user, not root).
deadbang

mvalsasna

#4 Post by mvalsasna »

peter_irich wrote:Xorg.0.log may be in some directory in /var/log, depends of DE. Just try find it:

find /var/log -name Xorg.0.log
Peter.
thanks for the suggestion
I only found /var/log/installer/Xorg.0.log, which as the name suggested was generated at installation time

MAtteo

mvalsasna

#5 Post by mvalsasna »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Wayland does not read X.Org configuration files, nor does it produce an X.Org log file. It is only possible to adjust configuration with the tools supplied by the desktop (AFAIK).

If you select the X session for GNOME in the login screen (click on the cog-wheel icon) then it will parse the configuration file and leave the logs under ~/.local/share/xorg/ (because GDM runs X under the normal user, not root).
thank you, that was useful information

I went for the "GNOME on X" session option, and indeed the log was generated in .local and my configuration was read and applied
there are indeed two places where you can place X configuration snipplets:

[ 85037.161] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 85037.161] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
BTW, I also found out that gnome/wayland should support some trackball configurations natively, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lo ... nd_Wayland
it seems to support wheel emulation but not button remapping, so I stuck with X

MAtteo