Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Flight sims

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
arzgi

Flight sims

#1 Post by arzgi »

Probably the only thing I've been missing from time I was a windows user, was good quality flight sim. Most of the 'sims' were just rubbish, but there were a few gems too.

Now the situation for linux flight sim fans is much better. flightgear
is in Buster's repo. This is for just flying, but does it very well. Many planes and air stations are modelled, even some military jets, but no combat. Learning to fly with this is a challenge, but fun.

After installing you can find docs in

Code: Select all

/usr/share/games/flightgear
Also flightgears web page is worth checking https://www.flightgear.org/

If you just want to 'shoot down those bastards', there is now LAC Linux Air Combat https://askmisterwizard.com/2019/LinuxA ... Combat.htm

When you crash your plane, game ends. Hours of joy already. Lot's of info on the web page, and links to many tutorial youtube-videos.

This too has some effort to be real sim, many WWII fighters to choose from, some flying chrateristics modelled for each plane. There is even one jet, but that is not allowed in multiplayer sessions :lol:

Installation is documented fine on the LAC page, here just some points.
The author says these are needed packages.

libfreeglut3
libSDL1.2_0
libSDL_mixer1.2_0
libmesaglu1
mesa

Depends what you have on your Debian installation, I had to install these

g++
freeglut3-dev
libsdl1.2-dev
libsdl-mixer1.2-dev
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian is a good text for any Debian user, especially for novices. But this one is quite well bult, it makes one hidden (dot dir) and one regular directory to your home dir. Configurations are in .LAC, and the game-binary and libraries are in LAC.

I downloaded the installer to ~/Downloads, below is how I installed.

cd /tmp
tar xvzf ~/Downloads/Lac07r92.tar.gz
cd Lac07r92/

make
make clean
make install
./install.sh
Last install scripts explains what it does.

LAC starts in quite low demanding mode, it was 480x400 if I remember right and coarse graphic. If you have a modern GPU, you can play run full screen with more detailed graphics.

EDIT:I always forget something. LAC author wrote, mumble is not required. but I could not it start, if mumble is not running.

sudo apt install mumble
Last edited by arzgi on 2020-02-04 18:08, edited 2 times in total.

stevepusser

Re: Flight sims

#2 Post by stevepusser »

LAC is quite interesting! I'm thinking of packaging it for MX Linux, and then for Debian and Ubuntu in an OBS repository. Do you know if any other distros have packaged it yet?
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

I'm impressed and must try this. And online multiplayer! 8) Will have to dust off the old joystick. I spent many hours playing gl-117 from which LAC is derived but it has not had dev love for many years and would only work in a small window on my HD monitor last I tried it.
Hopefully it is easy to package, wishing you best of luck @Stevo. :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Well, the source package is quite small compared to Flightgears huge data files. Maybe it generates the landscapes procedurally. Then I have to whether to call the package lac, linuxaircombat, or linux-air-combat, and then hope that the rest of the Linux world goes the same way.

It seems you can configure it so it doesn't require Mumble, too:
Changes in the mid November 2019 version (Lac07r92) include:

Users can now edit the "NetworkMode" field of their LacConfig.txt file to instruct LAC to ignore the presence of Mumble. This will be good for users with computers suffering incompatibilities when trying to use Mumble, or for users wishing to employ some other VOIP application.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

stevepusser wrote:LAC is quite interesting! I'm thinking of packaging it for MX Linux, and then for Debian and Ubuntu in an OBS repository. Do you know if any other distros have packaged it yet?
No I don't. The author mentioned on his(/their?) LAC page, that he was a bit surprised it has not caught bigger interest. But was open for any co-operartion offers. GPL anyhow.

Playable, a bit too prone to crashing on my system, memory range overflow.

EDIT: And without mumble, yes I commented out every network related command from .LAC/LacConfig.txt. No multiplayer or net-missions. Worked, but LAC announced I'll loose lot of games functionality.

Oh, it really is possible to configure mumble out, overlooked that.

EDIT II: About source package size, all the sounds are in wav-format :roll: Wondered when installing, why not ogg?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

arzgi wrote:EDIT II: About source package size, all the sounds are in wav-format :roll: Wondered when installing, why not ogg?
I just looked at my gl-117 install. Sound effects are in .wav with a total of 132KB. Music is in .s3m format totalling 424KB. Not really a lot. Probably LAC inherited those. Are there other audio files in LAC?
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

pwd
/home/arto/LAC
arto@debian:LAC$ du -sh music
36M	music
arto@debian:LAC$ du -sh sounds
12M	sounds
arto@debian:LAC$ 
All sound and music files are wav-files.

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

LAC IMHO is exceptional os-project in that sense there is almost too much info :D

Lac07p94 is an experimental version. Changed to Lac07r92, which is a production release. Tried a few times, did not crash.

Updated the first post in the thread.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

It really does compile very quickly, too. Probably took about 15 seconds on my laptop, using one thread, at the same time seven threads were occupied building a customized MX Thunderbird 68.4.2, which took about 25 minutes in comparison.

7.92 did crash for me, but only when I purposely augered my tutorial plane into the ground to see what would happen--almost a feature!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

Just installed it. The README file says there is a precompiled binary included so I tried that first and it works. Just extract the archive and run install.sh . I would prefer it to install in ~/bin/ rather than in ~/ but that's probably trivial to do.
Graphics froze when crashing into the ground here too but it still seemed to be running in the background and was able to Esc to the main menu. It has a Sidewinder 2 config file as well which is exactly my joystick model! :)
It seemed to run OK on this old system which has Nvidia GTX 560Ti running nouveau. Will test it soon on my other newer system with GTX 970 and nvidia driver on 4K monitor.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

arzgi

#11 Post by arzgi »

Perhaps some terminology mismatch here.

When I dive my plane to ground or water, game ends, no error messages, to console where I started the game prints

Info: LINUX AIR COMBAT HAS COMPLETED NORMALLY.
I thought maybe some 'game over' screen would be in place and then return to menu.

By crash I mean 7.94 would almost every time I started it end to memory area overflow. But when I started it again, it did run.

Also 7.94 sometimes hang, when crashing the plane, sound was on, but screen was halted. Had to kill from other workspace. This has not occurred once, after changing to 7.92.

But testing continues :shock:
Last edited by arzgi on 2020-02-05 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

#12 Post by arzgi »

sunrat wrote: I would prefer it to install in ~/bin/ rather than in ~/ but that's probably trivial to do.
I moved the whole LAC directory to other place. Have not tested, but I guess Lac07r92 binary needs the same order of other dirs. You can use symlinks, or make a starter icon, LAC dir includes icon image lac.png

EDIT:

One possibility is to make a script to bin, which calls the game binary. Options are many.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

arzgi wrote:Also 7.94 sometimes hang, when crashing the plane, sound was on, but screen was halted. Had to kill from other workspace. This has not occurred once, after changing to 7.92.
I just downloaded from the Sourceforge "Download" link assuming I'd get v7.92. Nope it's 7.94 and behaviour is similar to what you describe although I can Esc back to the menu.
Just tried 7.92. It segfaulted when I hit the water during first tutorial. No more time for testing right now.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

arzgi

#14 Post by arzgi »

Practicing landing on free flight. A bit harsh touch down to air field, and killed LAC, 4 xcfe-terminals, orage and gkrellm, all programs that were open on that work space.

Might be some influence, just before launching LAC did 10.3 update to Buster.

This is the ultimate record, other game sessions have ended mostly clean.

rjbosen

#15 Post by rjbosen »

arzgi. sunrat, and steve,

I am new to these debian forums and just discovered this thread.

I am the primary author of Linux Air Combat and I am pleased to see you have exercised it. Since the time when this thread was most active, LAC has advanced to version 8.32 and all of the quirks and challenges you describe have been addressed. In particular:
  • The versions from early this year (7.92, 7.94,etc.) suffered from occasional segmentation faults as you describe. I think I have found and fixed the cause of all of those segfaults. Recent users have not reported faults of that type.

You can indeed move the whole "LAC" directory structure anywhere you want it within your filesystem as you suspected. You are correct that the organization of its subdirectories should be retained.

Diving your aircraft into water or ground no longer ends the sim abruptly; now you are returned to the menu structure as one would expect.

It looks like your exercising of "mumble" was problematic with LAC for some reason. I found and fixed some bugs in the logic that tells LAC to ignore mumble. If you set the "4" bit in the "NetworkMode" attribute of the LacConfig.txt file (most people have "3" in that field, so change it to "7"), then LAC will no longer demand mumble, will not attempt to invoke it at startup, and will make no attempt to switch mumble channels for you. In that situation, you can just use mumble's own native controls to connect with our mumble server at LinuxAirCombat.com and to switch channels, etc.
I have published a new YouTube playlist showing EXACTLY how I downloaded, installed, configured, and flew LAC on a brand new Debian desktop Linux setup in Sep2020. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYMpD_ ... FBo_S6gVII

I am most anxious to encourage Debian Linux users to join our little LAC community. Steve mentioned a desire to package it up into repositories. I've never done that but I would like to assist in the effort, or I might be able to take the lead in that effort if I could get a little coaching! ; )

arzgi

#16 Post by arzgi »

Warmly welcome and thanks for your great work!

Have to test the 8.32 version some time.

rjbosen

#17 Post by rjbosen »

Ok arzgi! I don't think you will need to recompile it. The binary in the published download package will probably work for you (it wasn't compiled on Debian, but most Debian-derived distros can run it).

:)

arzgi

#18 Post by arzgi »

rjbosen wrote:Ok arzgi! I don't think you will need to recompile it. The binary in the published download package will probably work for you (it wasn't compiled on Debian, but most Debian-derived distros can run it).

:)
Must be compiled, Debian 10 stable has libc6 2.28, wihtout installing required libc6 2.29. But after compiling (make, make clean, make install) 8.32 works well.

rjbosen

#19 Post by rjbosen »

Was that you in the A6M2 "Zero" flying in "Hyrum's Mission"? I think I saw you connect with the Mumble server too. ??? I was trying to join you but it took me too long to find an available joystick and get everything hooked up.... :?

arzgi

#20 Post by arzgi »

Most likely someone other, as I just tested free flight.