Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

bash vs tcsh/csh

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
ramack

bash vs tcsh/csh

#1 Post by ramack »

I know very little about bash scripting. Most of the bash scripts I've written are pretty basic, just doing minor stuff at home and at work. At work, tcsh & csh is used. I've asked why we use tcsh instead of bash and responses have been very uninformative, "that's what we have always used, it does what we need it to do, etc..."

So what's the "big" advantage, if any, of tcsh vs bash? Is it more of a preference? From what I've found online, bash has taken the "good" things from the other shells and put them into one.

I did find some info that gave very short for loop example and tcsh was more compact and shorter by 2-3 lines.
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: bash vs tcsh/csh

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

ramack

#3 Post by ramack »

Yup, saw that one. Gloom & doom, the sky is falling...
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.

neuraleskimo

#4 Post by neuraleskimo »

ramack wrote:I know very little about bash scripting. Most of the bash scripts I've written are pretty basic, just doing minor stuff at home and at work. At work, tcsh & csh is used. I've asked why we use tcsh instead of bash and responses have been very uninformative, "that's what we have always used, it does what we need it to do, etc..."

So what's the "big" advantage, if any, of tcsh vs bash? Is it more of a preference? From what I've found online, bash has taken the "good" things from the other shells and put them into one.

I did find some info that gave very short for loop example and tcsh was more compact and shorter by 2-3 lines.
If your employer has been around for a few decades, my hunch is that your company had an investment in some flavor(s) of BSD and/or some well-respected/influential people had a BSD background. When the choice was made to use tcsh, I suspect the decision made sense given the constraints and requirements at the time. Eventually, all of that history was ...well, lost to history. I doubt you will get a satisfactory technical argument now. However, keep working your social network, you might eventually find some of the original decision makers. It might lead to an interesting story.

FWIW, I have a soft spot for BSD and csh/tcsh. My first accounts as an undergraduate student (1990) were on BSD systems. Through much of the 1990's, I dual booted FreeBSD and Linux, but FreeBSD was my daily driver until the late 1990's. I still have fond memories of those days. I can understand why some of that legacy might have survived.