Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED: Install Budgie desktop

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pccobbler

SOLVED: Install Budgie desktop

#1 Post by pccobbler »

I could install Debian with any of the major desktops and then install Budgie, but I'd rather not install a desktop I'm not going to use. My questions are:

1) Is Budgie an option during installation?

2) Is Openbox an option during installation, which I could follow with "apt-get install budgie-desktop"?

In either case, would I need to use the DVD release to have the necessary packages?
Last edited by pccobbler on 2020-02-16 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Install Budgie desktop

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pccobbler wrote:Is Budgie an option during installation?
No.
pccobbler wrote:Is Openbox an option during installation
No. Anyway why would you want to install openbox if you don't want to install a desktop you're not going to use? That makes no sense.

Just don't select any desktops at all then install Budgie from a console session. See my autologin guide for a way to auto-run the startx command on login to TTY1, you can do that without having to enable autologin.
pccobbler wrote:would I need to use the DVD release to have the necessary packages?
Use the netinstall image so you won't have to update the packages after installation.
deadbang

pccobbler

Re: Install Budgie desktop

#3 Post by pccobbler »

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I thought Openbox was a good idea was that it seems to always be installed with LXDE and other desktops.

Installing no desktop is the best solution, with Budgie being installed via the console, as you suggested.