Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Have people gone crazy with specs?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Have people gone crazy with specs?

#21 Post by CwF »

Well then there must be types. I'm referring to the 'good' ones. They have a mesh core. The liquid is something modified for surface tension I suppose. Wonderful phase change capacity can't do much it nothing motivates actual flow. So verses gravity, these work better with some kind of wick. A simple sealed tube with some water isn't what I've used.

Deb-fan

#22 Post by Deb-fan »

Guess it depends on the specific intent, best thermal dynamics involved going to vary. Thank gawds humanity isnt relying on me for all this. We'd all still be using abacus's. :) That having to use liquid nitrogen thing really drove that point home for me, jebuz! That's one thing really bugging me about this thing. It's so old doesnt support any real virtualization. Was just starting to get into kvm, when a guest decided to spill a drink on my laptop of the time. Almost snatched it up and busted the guy over the head with it. :) Am sure the look on my face was priceless. Must have had the potential for making meme history. Ah whatcha gonna do, the poor lappy was already a goner anyway.

Ironically was the only pc I've ever bothered buying new too. Still wasn't all that but did invest a decent bit of time spec'ing and selecting the dam thing for the fit I wanted.

So no vm's, could get away with a quasi vm, 32b crap thing, aka: virtualbox but forget that ... can't do it right, why do it at all? Should've taken a tad more time and gotten a system which would support virtual. Wanted a system right now-then though. No waiting for this ideal deal to come up, time dumped bidding, time for shipping blah, blah and the specs and price for cash and carry at the time were right. Which brings to mind CwF, remember you do seem to not mess around with these kind of things. A hardware setup tweak mad scientist. More power to you. :)

PS, here's an ingenious engineering design tip from me to whomever. Wtf is this trend with giving laptop's shiny finishes!? The very frigging purpose of these things necessitate they be constantly handled and touched! Shiny finish? Five mins of use and someone has a smuggy looking oily smeared mess! Gawd dammit people doing this design tardation ... flat black matte! Do you hear me dammit! :P Well do ya, ya feckers doing this! Dell's suffer from this, that dearly departed Hp did too. The whole thing was high gloss shine, inside and out. It's bothering me now to a point I'm considering finding an appropriate sticky film material and having to measure, cut out and apply a finish that'll actually work. What, am I supposed to start carrying around a buffer for the damn things!? Ten mins of use, 15 spent buffing out all the smears and smudges!?
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Deb-fan

#23 Post by Deb-fan »

This junk really ain't funny somebody should do a study on time/economic impact. Probably end up finding peeps spend 400,856,467.63hrs per year cleaning these things. Am not even ocd about this type of thing, the opposite, I'm generally a slob. Like a degree of order and general sanitation though. Which is why this is on mind. Looked down one day thought WTH, laptop is crusty, errr is that something growing on that area of da keyboard? :P Thus began a protracted cleaning of the thing. Ended up shiny as all get out and now I notice and have been somewhat trying to keep up with it. Which is fundamentally impossible and thus annoying. Sheesh with that Hp someone had to wear sunglasses to look at/use it after just taking it out of box but it's all downhill from there. So oem's yep, there's a tip, your customers take these things out of box one time. Then they actually have to look at the dam things and probably don't want them appearing a crusty smudge ridden mess, kay? :)

PS, and the people behind mobile autocorrect should just be taken out and shot. I hate you people with a burning passion at this point which borders on insanity, lol. Why did you do this to da world!? Why inflict this thing on others!? WHYYYYYYY!? :P Yep can see a lightbulb going off over some evil bastids head. I GOT IT, these tiny touch keyboards just aren't already painful enough to use. I've discovered the perfect solution to making em excruciating! Introducing autocorrect! SUCCESS!

DIE, SIMPLY DO THE RIGHT THING AND DIE, PLEASE JUST DIE!

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#24 Post by NFT5 »

CwF wrote:Maybe a Cruz?
Nah, Pajero. 4M41 engine with Aisin auto and bulletproof Mitsubishi diffs. Dual chipped with a dedicated notebook for programming the chips. IBM R40 with failing graphics but has the serial port needed for the interface. Next project will be to find a replacement for it. Where do you find something with the grunt to run XP, a PCMCIA wi-fi card and a serial port? Not a bad run out of the old beast, though. My missus has her favourite Asus that has a serial port. "But dear, I need it for the car"............................. :roll:

Automobiles, tools, computers. They're all just instruments to achieve an end. I learned a long time ago that if you start with quality you're much less likely to experience failure. Failures cost time and time is money. There is actually sound reasoning behind overspeccing components.
CwF wrote:50+mpg here I come!
stevepusser wrote:most people don't need to waste a hundred times as much energy and money driving around alone in a massive SUV
Maybe better. Taking it easy, at 90-100km/h, I'm getting 6l/100km. That's 45mpg. Efficiency is the key. Just like my desktop - I don't use all 8 cores all the time, but they're there for when I do.
Deb-fan wrote:Probably end up finding peeps spend 400,856,467.63hrs per year cleaning these things.
I have one PC which has a dedicated function - to run a proprietary program for mixing paint colours. The keyboard sits in a drawer under the bench where paint is mixed. Of course, nobody ever shuts the drawer so this poor keyboard gets splashed with paint and thinners and constantly has little crusty bits dropped in/on it. Occasionally it gets pulled out and turned upside down while being bashed on the benchtop, to clear the dried up bits of paint that sometimes jam the keys. Nobody has ever thought to clean it - waste of time, really. Been there for over 10 years. It's a Dell. Industrial strength. Only the old IBM keyboards came close to taking that kind of punishment.

Auto correct is permanently off on any device I use. Seriously, I have enough trouble with spellcheckers. What I want is a spell and grammar checker that works on other people's posts.

Edit: I just switched to my other forum and the first post I read was this:
awesome work, mate love the build the thread braver then me I just palm if off to a shop to do
Surely AI has reached a point where it could have saved me the pain of reading and trying to understand rubbish like this.

Deb-fan

#25 Post by Deb-fan »

^LfrigAo. :)

Forgot to mention your car sounds badarse (0-100mph in 7s, yikes). What do you use that can handle that kind of torque, titanium, some secret space age polymer you just aren't sharing yet? Need a wheely bar on the thing? :P Luv it, yeah am sure commandeering your lady's PC will go over great!

Think back when Dell bought their components in bulk and just assembled them they are/were dang kickbutt. This ancient laptop is a tank. Now that they've done the logical thing and cut out the middlemen branding their own components hope they've kept up on quality. Think a lot of manufacturer's actually hire people to design stuff to break after whatever they've deemed is an acceptable lifespan. Oops transmission's gone, time to buy a new one.

An old PC in the setting you use it for, who cares, only needs be durable but for consumer electronics can't help consider it an epic fail. Still don't so much care, as long as it's really durable bottom line. Still ... nobody at Dell design central stopped and considered this ? Hey guys used one of our new xyz model a bit to try the thing out, worked great but errrr time I was done that high gloss finish we use looked about as appealing as if somebody took a dump on a mirror.

For about a week after was keeping a cloth next to the thing and wiping it down. Then came back to my senses and said screw it, why care. Still though there aren't enough problems and stupidity in the world, somebody at Dell had to custom design some into a brand of laptop I favor, for real? :) Just add insult to annoyance this model deviates from norm, doesn't have the shiny lid. It's a more appropriate finish, like hey they want it to look decent if someone walks by and it's sitting there. Open the lid, looks like a 4 year old has been finger painting with grease smudges on the thing.

Head_on_a_Stick

#26 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

A quick comment from me before this thread gets locked...

For motorcycles excessive power is actually a safety feature — it allows for easier, safer overtakes and gives the rider the opportunity to escape from other road users who are trying to ram them (this has happened to me more than once but I'm even ruder on the road than I am here).

Bikers have a saying:
The smaller the bike the bigger the injury
The EU has for many years tried to prove a link between motorcycle power and accident rates to justify draconian limits (such as are imposed in France) but they've failed miserably because if a link does exist then it is the inverse.

[/off-topic]
deadbang