Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dillo browser - odd duplication of website elements?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
tpprynn

Dillo browser - odd duplication of website elements?

#1 Post by tpprynn »

I am a big fan of Dillo, initially I got into using it because I use tethering for my internet, as a 'pay as you go' customer'. I like switching off all the frills - being on the road back to a full adult-level of concentration after a decade in the net addiction wilderness, having just the information in front of me and not the full internet experience with its rabbit-holes has been quite helpful.

I did wonder though if there might be hardcore Dillo users who know a few things that might improve the experience. If I look at the site for the UK's Guardian newspaper at theguardian.com/uk#maincontent there is a lot of duplication somehow, of headlines. Can anything be done in dillorc or elsewhere that will tidy this up? This duplication seems to happen once 'use embedded CSS' is switched off. Maybe it's an unavoidable side-effect of shaving this much data off.

Thanks.

otyugh

Re: Dillo browser - odd duplication of website elements?

#2 Post by otyugh »

My guess is that the website in question is nasty, I never had any trouble with dillo on "no-js" websites (the one problem I have with dillo is forums ; its cache behaviour make that you must force refresh everytime you post something).
Dillo is great on "personal pages" of people doing without javascript and modern glitters.

Dillorc tunning is way too basic, maybe you could do somthing complex using privoxy and using clever rules... But looks like overkill to me, it's just not the proper tool for the job. Sadly dillo isn't developped anymore (to my great sadness) so we can't hope for it to improve in the future in its current state.

To follow newspapers or blog though, I wouldn't ever use Dillo. RSS feed readers is what you are looking for (I recommend liferea or quiterss).
I use dillo for browsing mostly (the pirate bay, recipes, dictionnaries, forums...).

tpprynn

Re: Dillo browser - odd duplication of website elements?

#3 Post by tpprynn »

Wow. Twelve years using Linux and I knew nothing about what you've told me. It's immediately just about the most useful application I know. I dread to think what else I might have overlooked... Thanks.

Hopeful quiterss isn't significantly better if at all than liferea as I like to avoid the visual mess of qt in a gtk-heavy distro/DE.

I'm sure I'll discover this soon enough but can liferea be made to avoid downloading images?