Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does anyone tag their hardware? :)

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Deb-fan

Does anyone tag their hardware? :)

#1 Post by Deb-fan »

Thinking about getting access to a printer and printing out a sticky sheet with the Debian gnu/Linux symbol. If can match the color of the laptops lid can put the thing over the Dell mark on it and if anyone asks, tell them it's special ordered from NASA with Debian gnu/nix stable OS installed, the best operating system available on earth and likely on more than a few alien worlds too. :P Anyone so proud of Debian they're compelled to represent such on their boxen?

PS, also occurs to me this could get out of hand. I don't have anything Windows installed so what should be done about the windows key always found on keyboards, gotta cover that up and transform it into a Debian(super swirl)key too.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Does anyone tag their hardware? :)

#2 Post by NFT5 »

:lol: Ok, I'll admit that a few years ago I came across some Debian swirl stickers on Ebay that were the same size as the stickers that show the CPU, about 20mm square.

They were cheap so I ordered some and then, after receiving them, put them away somewhere safe for future use. One day I'll remember where that "safe" place is..... :roll:

As for the Windows key, the only time I ever use it is when I get those phone calls from Microsoft Technical Support telling me that they have reports of a problem with my internet connection. They never believe me when I tell them that nothing happens. :(

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

LMAO! Priceless. :)

Have gotten calls like that too. Some person with a heavy Indian accent. We are detecting serious security things with your operating system windows, I'm calling from to contact you from Microsoft. Please be click on this, then click that, you will be having a command prompt, you must be typing this into it and you will be seeing that. This is very serious security issue, you must now be doing xyz. I've been playing along, don't even have a Windows os installed. Omg, who are you with? Say my windows install has been screaming for help, thank the gawds you called in time, yeah I'm typing that in right now!

Yes it is being serious you do this now, I am from Microsoft. :P

May actually get around to doing this too. A tux + Debian swirl key would be cool and am sure some geeks done/doing it. :)

Lol... stashed and can't remember where? That's what I'm talking about, even you can't get access to your stuff. Even under torture! Bulletproof security!

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

I have ordered a bunch of these https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... rd-sticker, and masked every win(r) logo on my keyboards with a tux logo :D

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

^Nice. :) More I think about it I do want my Debian super swirl key. Somewhat improper having a Windows super, with nothing windows installed. Ocd? A tad bit but it's harmless so no worries. :P

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

For "security experts", those call centers can be hacked pretty easily by a dedicated vigilante: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBNG0o ... cZZ3ic84vw
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

It must work sometimes or those dirt-bags wouldn't do it. Am sure I rudely ended the call with some nice/choice words to the guy. Think he ended up hanging up, can't recall. Didn't even bother reporting it those boilerroom call centers can move around so much or be operating out of a place the US authorities can't do much about anyway. Besides, sadly if someone is so far gone they would fall for that type of crapness, there's no hope, nor help for them. Putting some markings to advertise what OS I'm using does seem right and do wuv Debian gnu/Linux and am proud n grateful to all those behind the project. Can't hurt to show some support, lol ... even if I'm sure $ome bucks would be more useful. :)

Too busy dorking with gnu/nix to ever have a shot at getting rich but meaning to send in a bit of coin. Errrr, now that I think of it, it's Debian's fault I don't have more time to try to pile up cash. Oops ... gonna have to sue Debian gnu/nix ... dammit! :P

Public service announcement: YOU OR SOMEONE YOU LOVE, MAY BE SUFFERING FROM DEBIAN ADDICTION. Help is available! :)

Dorkish edit: Judging by all the horror stories just install win10, you'll never want to touch/use your puter again, unless you have to.