Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cyclictest Error: debian Unable to change scheduling policy!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
je13fr

Cyclictest Error: debian Unable to change scheduling policy!

#1 Post by je13fr »

Hello,

I m posting on this forum because I m not able to find anything elsewhere and I m looking for this for a couple of days without success :(

I have Debian 4.19.98 with PREEMPT Kernel patch-4.19.98-rt40, I compiled my kernel with PREEMPT options (Real Time - Basic RT + Group scheduling RR/FIFO )

Following this I installed rt-test to check latency of my OS using mainly cyclictest and all was working fine.

As finally I want to use docker containers I installed Docker and I built an image to embed rt-tests on my container and check the latency within a container.

Since I have installed Docker on my machine and run my container I m no more able to run cyclictest on my host OS get an error:
debian Unable to change scheduling policy!
either run as root or join realtime group => I m logged as root on my SSH connection and even on the system itself I get this error message.

I start my container with such command: docker run -it --cpu-rt-runtime=950000 --ulimit rtprio=99 --cap-add=sys_nice rt-test:latest

I have tried to create a realtime group with following coommand & settings:
# cat <<EOF >/etc/security/limits.d/99-realtime.conf
@realtime - rtprio 99
@realtime - memlock unlimited
EOF

Now even if I reboot and no container is running with cpu/cgroup setting I m no more able to make cyclictest on my host
cyclictest in my container works sometime but sometime I do also get the error :
debian Unable to change scheduling policy!
either run as root or join realtime group

Is there any chance someone could help me to workaround this issue.

My goal 'ideally" & if possible would be to test at the same time my OS latency and container latency

Thanks by advance for your help
Jerome