Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No Wifi on an ASUS Netbook

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
urdrwho10

No Wifi on an ASUS Netbook

#1 Post by urdrwho10 »

I'll give this a try but it brings back the bad old days when getting wifi to work on linux was a problem.

I have an old toy, an ASUS T-100 that I am playing with. Ubuntu Mate is currently installed and Wifi, sound, etc. worked right out of the box. Fedora immediately found my wifi.

Today along side of Ubuntu I installed Debian 10 Cinnamon. I knew there was no wifi during the live edition but thought if I installed it and chose the non-free Iso that I could get Wifi to work. Nope! I can't even get a response with ifconfig command not found. Also had a bunch of non-free .deb files that I received a message that they were a

arzgi

Re: No Wifi on an ASUS Netbook

#2 Post by arzgi »

urdrwho10

#3 Post by urdrwho10 »

Thank you for that information. I did install a non-free iso edition but still no wifi.

When I see a red error on the screen within all the text that is running it reads "Failed to start Raise network interfaces."

The link you gave me was an interesting read and I also went to other links.

At age 67 I still enjoy learning. My son who works in the field for a computer company (network stuff right now) says I put other people my age to shame at what I know about computing.

But also at age 67 I don't have the patience to play around as much, I expect things to work correctly by now, the wifi issue has been going on far to many years and I really don't want to deal with it....be a social compact or whatever. To me a computer is an appliance and just as I wouldn't expect my oven to not heat because of a social compact, I feel the same about computing.

Other than the Asus I have about 5 computers and most of them I've been using Mint or LMDE. Maybe a straight out Debian on one of them? I have a new MOBO to install on a laptop and that would be a good candidate.

So after that long dissertation I can say that I don't think I'm spending any more time trying to get this Asus toy to work with Debian. Ubuntu Mate works fine, Fedora works fine and those two will do for now.

Again thanks for your help. :)

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

You are welcome.

I respect your choice.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

urdrwho10 wrote:Ubuntu Mate is currently installed and Wifi, sound, etc. worked right out of the box. Fedora immediately found my wifi.
Which kernel versions are they running? I presume it's newer than Debian's.

If your wireless card was introduced after January 2019 then Debian buster's stock kernel will not support it. See my [FAQ] for instructions about running a newer kernel in Debian stable.
deadbang

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
urdrwho10 wrote:Ubuntu Mate is currently installed and Wifi, sound, etc. worked right out of the box. Fedora immediately found my wifi.
Which kernel versions are they running? I presume it's newer than Debian's.

If your wireless card was introduced after January 2019 then Debian buster's stock kernel will not support it. See my [FAQ] for instructions about running a newer kernel in Debian stable.
OP said it's an old Asus T100...what would really really help is to know what wireless chipset is in it.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

OK, a few second's web search shows that it's one of those PITA Baytrail Intel Atom tablaptops: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... 2Buster.22
MX Linux packager and developer