Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LxQt - some System tray icons don't show

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Andrew Lohmann

LxQt - some System tray icons don't show

#1 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Laptop; Compaq nx6125, 64bit
XP, Debian 10 32 bit and 64-bit LxQt

Some of the System tray Icon's don't show; Mega.nz is the worst one almost never shows unless I reinstall it.

Some do show reliably; Dropbox, Skype and Slack are fine.

Connman does not show but as with the others either Network or Wireless connects fine. In this case, the icon appears when I select menu - Connmen UI setup then remains visible.

Do I need to wait for this to be fixed in a future update or is there a way of fixing this?

esp7

Re: LxQt - some System tray icons don't show

#2 Post by esp7 »

Andrew Lohmann wrote:Laptop; Compaq nx6125, 64bit
XP, Debian 10 32 bit and 64-bit LxQt

Some of the System tray Icon's don't show; Mega.nz is the worst one almost never shows unless I reinstall it.

Some do show reliably; Dropbox, Skype and Slack are fine.

Connman does not show but as with the others either Network or Wireless connects fine. In this case, the icon appears when I select menu - Connmen UI setup then remains visible.

Do I need to wait for this to be fixed in a future update or is there a way of fixing this?
I had to look up your machine to have an idea, it seems a old budget machine and this is mostly the issue of your annoyance. It is a machine with maximum 2gb RAM memory and probably with a old conventional hdd instead of ssd. Either buy a new machine to enjoy today's computing more or at least invest to add a SSD drive in the machine. I do not see any other solutions, I have LXQT running correctly without issues on a terrible eeepc netbook with 2GB ram and a basic SSD from years ago. It works, but all is said with that, not suited for daily computing :D All your issues are related to 3rd party software, you should follow up with them if issues, Debian will never support or pack these apps.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

Check what qt themes, icons (pkgs installed) etc you have and what's set default for your OS, Lxqt to use. Check into theme switching, system model/specs have zero to do with this. :)

Oops edit: though since it works as wanted when you launch it and stays up after, it does have an icon for whichever applet you need, might also do a bit of digging as to how such things are set to autostart in lxqt too.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Andrew Lohmann

#4 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Thanks for your replies - I have decided not to run Debian on this laptop any more for this and other reasons.

I have resolved this issue by replacing 32 bit and 64 bit Debian 10 LxQt with MX 18, 32 bit and AntiX 19, 64 bit.
Deb-fan wrote:system model/specs have zero to do with this. :)
I Agree on this point thanks - all those icons work in other desktops and versions of Debian on this and other computers. I had another issue with the computer freezing (not running slowly) white screen it seems to be due to over heating when the processor was working hard such browsing a slow webpage or pdf so I have been evaluating MX 18, 32 bit and AntiX 19, 64 bit which don't have any of these issues.

So the point about the old laptop being the issue - I don't think there is a problem hot air flows through well and with AntiX for example the processor clock can run at 2.2GHz (maximum) with hot air flow out but not so hot that the laptop closes down and restarts with a brief message overheating that occurs with Debian. That is all tray icons including both the Connman wireless icon and the Mega.nz icon are displayed in AntiX and MX distributions.

Deb-fan

#5 Post by Deb-fan »

Was going to suggest MX gnu/nix, perhaps their Fluxbox release. They smooth over the rough edges for Debian users by including nonfree out-of-box all those oddities you're experiencing yep, indicate strongly Debian is not set up properly, that you don't have correct packages installed for the hardware. Overheating and freezes like that, not happening in others are obvious symptoms. For myself there's nothing gnu/nix that compares to Debian but long been doing bare minimum netinstalls and setting everything up to my own preferences. From the base up.

Either way it's clear you're going for light weight would recommend Mx 1st, by a fair lead over Bunsenlabs gnu/Linux with openbox 2nd. Mx obviously has more progressive minded and knowledgeable devs-maintainers focusing specifically on desktop gnu/nix users. More vibrant community too. Bunsenlabs is just a good, rock solid distro too. For me Debian setup to my own tastes and tweaked to hell n gone for desktop is unbeatable though.

Andrew Lohmann

#6 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

Thanks, agree.
Deb-fan wrote:Was going to suggest MX gnu/nix, perhaps their Fluxbox release. They smooth over the rough edges for Debian users by including nonfree out-of-box all those oddities you're experiencing yep, indicate strongly Debian is not set up properly, that you don't have correct packages installed for the hardware. Overheating and freezes like that, not happening in others are obvious symptoms. For myself there's nothing gnu/nix that compares to Debian but long been doing bare minimum netinstalls and setting everything up to my own preferences. From the base up.

Either way it's clear you're going for light weight would recommend Mx 1st, by a fair lead over Bunsenlabs gnu/Linux with openbox 2nd. Mx obviously has more progressive minded and knowledgeable devs-maintainers focusing specifically on desktop gnu/nix users. More vibrant community too. Bunsenlabs is just a good, rock solid distro too. For me Debian setup to my own tastes and tweaked to hell n gone for desktop is unbeatable though.
After I have installed things that are mentioned required at installation or start up in Debian some installations still have things such as no laptop screen brightness control whereas MX and most other distributions resolves all those things. I usually don't find the answer so your suggestion is good. AntiX has become more user friendly to install and the next time it arises Bunsenlabs might be worth me looking at again.

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Welcome ... I was too busy ranting, raving and droning. :P

Andrew Lohmann

#8 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

It is complaining and being miserable that keeps us happy!
Deb-fan wrote:^ Welcome ... I was too busy ranting, raving and droning. :P

Andrew Lohmann

#9 Post by Andrew Lohmann »

I discussed the Laptop over heating. It is old and does need to be blown through the exit vents but I have now solved the issue. Debian needs 3 non-free drivers; Broadcom b43 Wireless, ts2_tog5 Broadcom these are fine. But the third driver r300_cp Video causes the over heating and shutting down so I have installed Debian without that one.

Any way thanks for your suggestions MX 19.1, Lubuntu 18.04, all work as well but Bunsen Labs 5 is the slowest and so is not usable. I like Debian 10 LxQt 64 bit it is fast enough all the better for adjusting the S.M.A.R.T settings for speed and cache on. There are some issues with Debian 10.3 but I am sure they will be resolved.

+++ PROBLEM SOLVED +++

r300_cp non-free driver causes over heating and the laptop to freeze.