Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GRUB bootloader fails to install on harddrive!

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bepiyi6777

Re: GRUB bootloader fails to install on harddrive!

#21 Post by bepiyi6777 »

p.H wrote:

Code: Select all

grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: Input/output error
I expected something like this. GRUB failed to create the boot entry in the EFI variables.
I do not know what causes it (UEFI firmware bug ?) nor how to fix it, but there may be a workaround : boot with the removable device path.
In the installer main menu, set the question priority to "low" and install GRUB again. The installer should ask whether to install a copy of GRUB in the removable device path. Accept.
Or : in the shell, copy the contents of /target/boot/efi/EFI/debian into /target/boot/efi/EFI/boot and rename /target/boot/efi/EFI/boot/grubx64.efi or shimx64.efi as bootx64.efi. In the installer main menu, continue without installing a boot loader.

Okay thank you for your help, I'll give this a try later when I have the time for it, and if it does not work I am just gonna give up for now. Thanks!

Deb-fan

Re: GRUB bootloader fails to install on harddrive!

#22 Post by Deb-fan »

@pH ... Sorry what'd you say, TL_DR. :P

Yeah covering the basics (in a couple paragraphs I might add) is clearly relevant here. Mount the dang EFI partition and see what's there, appropriate files likely sitting there but if you didn't set boot, esp flags on it, nope not working. A 4+gb Esp/EFI partition is kind of excessive, an entire fresh os-install, including boot could fit on that for me but it's your system, shrugs. Can't see any possible use, a separate boot partition yeah and would still personally want it a natively Nix supported filesystem. Ah whatever all this junk is again just obvious signs simple/basic things are being neglected, by someone who hasn't bothered learning what's involved. Hey, I'm randomly pushing buttons and it taint working fellas, errrr ... go figure. :)

PS, also do vaguely recall some bios-etc where folks disabling secureboot is roughly equiv to enabling legacy, why I bothered to mention it. Some oem's do seem outright hostile to alternatives to Windows too. Ah blah blah.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *