Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Your impressions about Brave browser

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Your impressions about Brave browser

#1 Post by bester69 »

What do you thing about brave browser?..

To me, right now, Its the best internet browser available,
It feels a more serious, better concept and more developed product than Opera, Chrome or Vivaldi... Im very delighed with this browser, I just miss an account cloud for syncing like opera 's.

Also miss barside tool and "V7 Bookmarks" extension, I wish I was able to install that extension in brave or in chrome. :(
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Your impressions about Brave browser

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

wino

#3 Post by wino »

I am not so brave to try it. sketchy to me.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Interesting article. I installed Brave a while back and it just gave me a feeling something devious was happening in the background. I uninstalled it very quickly. I didn't understand it's modus operandi at the time but it seems my feeling was right. This quote is particularly amusing:
If tar­geted web ad­ver­tis­ing is a crap sand­wich, then Brave is merely cut­ting off the crusts.
I'll stick to Mozilla Firefox as I have done since it was called Phoenix. They still seem to have some ethics.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Don't you also to have to disable sandboxing for it on Debian kernels, like so many other Chromium browsers?

I'm sticking with Chromium backported from Sid to Buster (by yrs truly) when I want to extend battery life when watching browser video, like a streaming event where people are sportsing. :) That because it's the only browser I've found on Debian that has achieved the Holy Grail of hardware accelerated vaapi video decoding, at least for my Coffee Lake laptop. I can't get that working on an Acer Skylake laptop, even though va-api is working for VLC and other apps on it.

That's more important to me than vague "feel-good" promises, to tell the truth.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

OT for this thread but:
stevepusser wrote:the Holy Grail of hardware accelerated vaapi video decoding
Firefox will also have VAAPI support under Wayland for v75: https://mastransky.wordpress.com/2020/0 ... n-wayland/

And to get back on topic here's another opinion piece about Brave:

https://rudism.com/the-brave-browser-is-brilliant/

I would post my own opinion but I don't have one :mrgreen:
deadbang

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:Don't you also to have to disable sandboxing for it on Debian kernels, like so many other Chromium browsers?

That's more important to me than vague "feel-good" promises, to tell the truth.
That's interesting becouse im not using "disable sandboxing" with brave and even so this last version of based on chromium works great in my old 2008's extensa laptop.. I was stucked since long with Operav42 and "disable sandboxing" (very old version).. and now I can use last chrome version by using Brave browser..(I havent try yet chrome for version 80.0.3987, I have it hold it), perhaps the improve i feel has to be with V8 javascript engine, or perhaps with OpenGl Enabled for first time in chromium engine.

I have also tested that same chrome version in Opera browser and doesnt work same smooth than brave... it might have to be with ad blocks brave brights embeded or perhaps to the configuration flags it uses...

see how different is brave launch.:
/opt/brave.com/brave/brave --enable-dom-distiller --disable-domain-reliability --no-pings --extension-content-verification=enforce_strict --extensions-install-verification=enforce --sync-url=https://no-thanks.invalid --enable-features=PasswordImport,WebUIDarkMode,SimplifyHttpsIndicator --disable-features=AutofillServerCommunication,AllowPopupsDuringPageUnload,LookalikeUrlNavigationSuggestionsUI,NotificationTriggers,AudioServiceOutOfProcess,SmsReceiver,WebXR,VideoPlaybackQuality,WebXrGamepadModule --flag-switches-begin --enable-features=PasswordImport,WebUIDarkMode,SimplifyHttpsIndicator,ExtensionsToolbarMenu --flag-switches-end --disable-webrtc-apm-in-audio-service --disable-sync
Opera launch.:
/snap/opera/67/usr/bin/opera --password-store --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end --enable-quic
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

there seems to be some consensous braves is faster
https://technicaljayendra.com/brave-vs-opera/

COMPARING PERFORMANCE
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/4/18249 ... t-chromium
Browsers are always a headache to compare in terms of performance, as most of the benchmarks available for them are impossible to relate to real-world tasks. This is why I invested a couple of weeks into switching between Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi, and Safari — the top five options on Apple’s macOS.

I did eventually run some synthetic benchmarks using browserbench.org and Basemark 3.0 to confirm or refute my findings, and they agreed with my conclusions. Chrome and Vivaldi are similar,...
>> Firefox continues to feel like the slowest option from the bunch, and it performs worst on benchmarks, like those provided on browserbench.org.
>> Brave is tangibly faster than Chrome, and because it otherwise behaves like Chrome, it’s the fastest browser for my use.

Brave is a speed and privacy upgrade over Chrome, and the switch to it has prompted me to belatedly start using a proper password manager. It’s an all-around victory, albeit with one imperfection: a whole bunch of sites now think that I’m a bot. It must be a feature of Brave’s tracker-blocking behavior, but I’m seeing a heap of visual CAPTCHAs and other additional security checks that I didn’t see when browsing with Chrome. Swiss Air offered the most informative explanation for why I was going through an extra check, telling me I’ve exhibited “unusual behaviour ... which resembles that of a bot.” Personally, I like this. I like the idea of my browser being so protective of my privacy that I stop appearing human to the rest of the internet. Other than that one foible, there’s no downside to making the switch.

Lecram

#9 Post by Lecram »

sunrat wrote:
I installed Brave a while back and it just gave me a feeling something devious was happening in the background. I uninstalled it very quickly. I didn't understand it's modus operandi at the time but it seems my feeling was right. I'll stick to Mozilla Firefox as I have done since it was called Phoenix. They still seem to have some ethics.
I guess i wasn't the only one feeling that way about the browser. Its better to use the open source chromium browser instead. well there are some interesting alternative lightweight browsers in the Debian repo itself, better to use that instead of risking your online security by using the Brave browser.

jimcomery

#10 Post by jimcomery »

bester69 wrote:What do you thing about brave browser?..

To me, right now, Its the best internet browser available,
It feels a more serious, better concept and more developed product than Opera, Chrome or Vivaldi... Im very delighed with slitherio this browser, I just miss an account cloud for syncing like opera 's.

Also miss barside tool and "V7 Bookmarks" extension, I wish I was able to install that extension in brave or in chrome. :(
I'm not so brave to try it.

DebbyIan

#11 Post by DebbyIan »

Isn't that the sentiment that you should be feeling about any browser?? You can never know what goes on in the backend of applications unless you go there and check it out for yourself. It's a mistake otherwise to ridicule a product based on gut feel alone.

The author of that article criticises Brave for other reasons. Users want products but then it has to paid for somehow. This is done through ads of adblocking software amongst other things. The web nowadays runs on ads. In light of economies who's sole purpose is to trade there is no escaping the marketing of ads. Marketing itself far supersedes the value of the actual products being marketed.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#12 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

The Brave browser has partially closed source and unclear licensing terms - f.e. it's completely undefined what data they are collecting about the end-users.
As for that amazing speed of Brave browser - it's a total bullshit.
How just another chromium clone could be so much faster? Maybe because they're blocking the ads, so no third-party ad-network components are loaded? (*)

I'm repairing the PCs and laptops belonging to my neighbours and friends - and some of them had the Brave installed along with other browsers.
Naturally, just out of curiosity I've made some tests(**) and the result in not a surprise - the Brave is simply not faster than Chrome or Firefox.
If a company is lying in such a simple case, then the question is: what else are they lying about?
IMO in terms of security, the Brave browser is no different from WPS Office.

(*) Firefox and Chrome does the same with NoScript installed.

(**) I have 300Mbit optical-fiber connection, so the only limitation for how fast the web pages are loaded is the server speed and the speed of the browser engine.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cuckooflew

#13 Post by cuckooflew »

from https://linuxreviews.org/Brave_Web_BrowserIt's overall barely acceptable as a web browser, nothing more. Installation may be a bit tricky since no GNU/Linux distribution includes it in their repositories.

The Brave Web Browser is free software under the Mozilla Public License 2.0. It is in principle free open source software but it's development is heavily controlled Brave Software - it is not a truly free foundation-developed software project like Debian.
I would not use it , it sounds horrible.
More below:
They could have claimed that Brave is 0.388x faster than Firefox and 0.015x faster than Chromium based on the Basemark 3.0 results and told the truth. They didn't, instead they chose to dishonor and disgrace their Brave brand by flat out lying about their browsers performance.
==================
The above mentioned pros do not outweigh the very large cons. Brave shows system pop-up notification messages with advertisement spam. Brave promises that users who clicks advertisements it shows will get a share of the revenue. That's just a lie. Using the system notification service to show advertisements is totally unacceptable even if it was true. Showing advertisements in the browser is one thing, showing system notification messages is whole other ordeal which should not and can not be tolerated.

You can, of course, install Brave and try it if you are a wizard who's able to follow the not all that user-friendly GNU/Linux installation instructions. All the distributions have Chromium available in their package managers; Brave requires special steps. It's could worth trying it if you know how to follow those steps. If you don't and you would have to ask a friend then don't bother, you will not be missing out on anything.
==========================================
Frequent System Notification Spam
The Linux version of the Brave Web Browser sends a lot of system notification messages advertising its own features, Brave products and somewhat questionable third party services. ---snip----
Brave advertises their web browser as one which lets users earn their special Basic Attention Token (A Ethereum token) by viewing in-browser advertisements. Frequent system notification message spam is not indicated anywhere on their website, browser documentation or anywhere else. The annoying pop-up notification messages have links like this one in them:

https://nexo.io/?utm_source=brave&utm_m ... =brave_cpc

That link, which goes to "Nexo Instant Crypto Credit Line" (which sounds questionable), has UTM URL codes which ensures that Brave gets paid for clicks on that link. However, there is no utm_ code which would let Brave reward any browser user clicking on the pop-up spam advertisements. Thus, it's the scam.

Many of the pop-ups the Brave browser generate advertise Braves own products and services.----snip---

As for pop-ups in general: Those died, for good reason, in in the early 2000's as browsers who were common at the time started blocking them. Using system notification messages to spam advertisements is just rude.

Verdict And Conclusion

Brave has proven itself to be a honorless for-profit corporation which can not and should not be trusted. They are constantly dishonoring themselves by outright lying in their marketing propaganda. This is something one may want to consider before installing any piece of software from them which is closely tied to their servers.

Brave doesn't really have that much great going for it.
================================
But I am sure the OP will like it, go ahead and try it.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!