Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screen Refresh Issue & Graphic Artifacts

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Stygian Blue

Screen Refresh Issue & Graphic Artifacts

#1 Post by Stygian Blue »

Howdy! I'm a Linux noob, so go easy on me.

I just got an ASUS laptop and installed a version of Debian Linux on it. The install went perfectly, but I am getting some really weird graphic artifacts and screen refresh issues after the first reboot. Basically, any time anything on the screen changes, I get a bunch of multicolored pixels that obscure whatever changed. These artifacts take a couple seconds to go away. It makes typing basically impossible, especially on the terminal, since I can't actually see what I'm typing. And browsing the Internet is also difficult, since every time I scroll a page I get a bunch of graphical noise.

For what it's worth, booting to a live instance from a USB also causes the same graphical issues.

Here are the specs for my computer: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-Vi ... fications/

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stygian Blue

Re: Screen Refresh Issue & Graphic Artifacts

#3 Post by Stygian Blue »

Hey, thanks! I guess I posted in the wrong forum. I'm actually running Kali Linux, which is a bit behind Debian, I think, so I'm either going to have to put some sort of hybrid thing together, wait until Kali has the new kernel that supports this integrated GPU, or put Windows back on it and run a Linux VM for now.

Any advice on what I should do?