Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Keyboard Shortcut Filepaths

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
send2gl

Keyboard Shortcut Filepaths

#1 Post by send2gl »

Debian 10.3
Cinnamon 3.8.8
Kernel 4.19.0-8-amd64

Folks,

New installation, trying to fathom out why Ctrl-Alt-T doesn't launch a new terminal

If I set a Custom Shortcut of Ctrl-Alt-K for mlterm it launches successfully, because Ctrl_Alt-T is a system setting clicking on it does not open a window for editing so I cannot check filepath. My initial $PATH did not include any sbin options so I have temporarily added these but that hasn't resolved anything.

Installation went fine with no errors noticed but oddly, I've tried all four terminals included and cannot find any configuration menu either.

Like the feel of Debian so would like to resolve these issues so any advice appreciated.

Geoff

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Keyboard Shortcut Filepaths

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

send2gl wrote:trying to fathom out why Ctrl-Alt-T doesn't launch a new terminal
Check ~/.xsession-errors immediately after attempting the shortcut.

tl;dr:

Code: Select all

# apt install gnome-terminal
deadbang

send2gl

#3 Post by send2gl »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
send2gl wrote:trying to fathom out why Ctrl-Alt-T doesn't launch a new terminal
Check ~/.xsession-errors immediately after attempting the shortcut.

tl;dr:

# apt install gnome-terminal
Thank you, I did notice under Preferences, System Settings, Preferred Applications it had nothing set for 'Terminal'. Installed gnome-terminal as per your advice and now Ctrl-Alt-T launches the terminal and I am able to configure it.

Curiosity, I was using mlterm and if I typed mlterm another window would open, as I would expect.

If I typed 'bash' nothing happened, just returned to command prompt. Is this as expected?

Geoff

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

send2gl wrote:If I typed 'bash' nothing happened, just returned to command prompt. Is this as expected?
Yes, that command just opens another shell within the already open shell. If you type exit from that prompt then you will be returned to the previous shell.

What did you expect to happen?

In respect of your problem, I don't use Cinnamon myself so I'm not sure how or where the default terminal is set but I would expect Debian's implementation of that desktop to default to /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator (as defined by whatever is symlinked to /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator) rather than be hard-coded to gnome-terminal. Perhaps a bug report is called for here.

The cinnamon-desktop-environment metapackage specifies either gnome-terminal or the x-terminal-emulator virtual package as dependencies and the latter is satisfied by xterm, which is already installed as a dependency of the xorg package (which is in turn a dependency of the desktop-task package), so I think that's why gnome-terminal isn't installed by default. It's a tangled web, that's for sure.
deadbang

send2gl

#5 Post by send2gl »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
send2gl wrote:If I typed 'bash' nothing happened, just returned to command prompt. Is this as expected?
Yes, that command just opens another shell within the already open shell. If you type exit from that prompt then you will be returned to the previous shell.

What did you expect to happen?
Well, in mlterm another terminal window opened, didn't with the command 'bash'. Seems I wrongly thought 'bash' was an actual terminal but seems not.

Also had locale issues so I reinstalled Debian and all (so far) seems fine, Ctrl-Alt-T launches the terminal.

Geoff

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

send2gl wrote:Seems I wrongly thought 'bash' was an actual terminal but seems not.
Bash is a shell, which is run in terminal emulators (and console screens). There are many different shells available, I prefer mksh myself.
send2gl wrote:Also had locale issues so I reinstalled Debian
You should have opened a new thread for that, such problems are usually fixable and you may even have learned something. For example:

# dpkg-reconfigure locales
deadbang

send2gl

#7 Post by send2gl »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
send2gl wrote:
send2gl wrote:Also had locale issues so I reinstalled Debian
You should have opened a new thread for that, such problems are usually fixable and you may even have learned something. For example:

# dpkg-reconfigure locales
I did learn something, I googled it. Ran that command and it did not resolve issues, hence the decision to reinstall.

Geoff