Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 won't authenticate root password

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
logiflow

Debian 10 won't authenticate root password

#1 Post by logiflow »

I tried to update Debian 9 to Debian 10--that didn't work. I then installed Debian 10 from scratch. I later installed CuteCom from Debian using Synaptic (having to have root privileges). But now I can't use CuteCom because it says I don't have the right permissions. I can't get root privileges anymore on my own computer. I always get "su: Authentication failure". I have gone thru the Grub menu several times to add and repeat a root "passwd" but that doesn't work either.

Is there any way for me to get the ability to use my own computer with Debian 10?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Debian 10 won't authenticate root password

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

Code: Select all

su -
is needed now

Code: Select all

su
wont change to roots path

logiflow

#3 Post by logiflow »

I tried su - which gave me the same error message. I'm assuming that there is a space between su and the dash, and that there are no spaces after the dash.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Did you enable a root account during install? If not it's one cmd "sudo passwd root", adding a user to a group or managing permissions likewise one cmd (many other easy means), covered in a gazillion places online, the thing with "su" vs "su -" for path has valid reasons behind it too of course. Debian gnu/Linux is the product of decades of many peoples time, talent and generosity. If someone can't be expected to spend 20mins of their precious time learning how to use it, then nopers, probably best they don't. The sun doesn't rise and set upon xyz-persons ignorant buttocks. Keep things real and in perspective. :)

Ps, Besides, think you've got problems? Just checked and yep, Firefox mobile has about:config settings, noooooo... Must resist urge to fiddle n tweak! :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

logiflow

#5 Post by logiflow »

You're right. I might have made a mistake somewhere. Probably NOT the same mistake that makes the command "sudo passwd root" produce the result "sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set" AND keeps Synaptic (which had to have root priviliges for me to use it a few weeks ago) from even bothering to activate, AND causes Software to give me the message "Incorrect permissions on /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkit-agent-helper-1(needs to be setuid root)" when I try to download updates AND keeps me from setting a root password in the Grub menu.

I'm beginning to think I have a bigger problem than just a bad password

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

Ah our dear newer friend polkit + policy files. Yeah getting synaptic working can apparently be a headache with polkit policy files now. The stupe(imo) pkexec foolishness to launch graphical apps with privileges. Bit of googling with those terms should lead you to plenty of solutions. People are not supposed to be launching graphical apps with just sudo though. I quickly adopted doing all package management in gnu/Linux with the real deal tools, apt/itude, dpkg etc. Should spend some time looking into how to do it that way(command-line, as the gnu/Nix gawds intend.) Really not complicated or hard to get down, much better-faster and people will be glad they did vs using a graphical frontend like synaptic.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

logiflow

#7 Post by logiflow »

Looks like my biggest mistake was thinking that Debian was useful for something other than perfecting my use of the Linux command structure. Since my computer will no longer download updates, I'll have to do an install. Maybe I'll install a distribution where I can get something besides criticism.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

logiflow wrote:"sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set"
PEBKAC: https://askubuntu.com/questions/452860/ ... id-bit-set
logiflow wrote:Maybe I'll install a distribution where I can get something besides criticism.
Oh no, but how will Debian possibly manage without you? [/sarcasm]
deadbang

logiflow

#9 Post by logiflow »

Thanks for some good information, Head on a Stick. It turns out that the problem is Linux, not Debian. By changing some permissions so I could use an application that I downloaded, Linux now prohibits me, without notification, from receiving all future security updates (and some that are now waiting to be installed). I love it that my computer is so secure! There are some other problems too, but I'm sure I can now get them straightened out.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

logiflow wrote:By changing some permissions
Yeah, don't be doing that.
I see a new installation in your future...
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

logiflow wrote:It turns out that the problem is Linux
No, the problem is you. See https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PEBCAK
deadbang