Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mpv-linked-ffmpeg as system-wide?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mrkapqa

mpv-linked-ffmpeg as system-wide?

#1 Post by mrkapqa »

Hello ,

on a older laptop i use Debian Wheezy 64bit.

with the help of mpv-build i could get a fairly recent version of mpv installed.

now this has also installed ffmpeg.3.3 inside the mpv folder

how could i achieve this ffmpeg as my systemwide ffmpeg so that youtube-dl can recognize it?
do i just need to copy it to inside /usr/bin ?

Thanks

Code: Select all

mpv 0.25.0 (C) 2000-2017 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
 built on Wed Mar 18 15:08:32 CET 2020
ffmpeg library versions:
   libavutil       55.58.100
   libavcodec      57.89.100
   libavformat     57.71.100
   libswscale      4.6.100
   libavfilter     6.82.100
   libswresample   2.7.100
ffmpeg version: n3.3.9-3-g9d3509f

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: mpv-linked-ffmpeg as system-wide?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

/usr/local/bin is the preferred location for non-packaged executables.

But perhaps you should try backporting the mpv, ffmpeg & libass packages instead: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

And why are you using wheezy anyway? It went EOL at the end of May 2018 so it's completely unsupported and the packages are riddled with vulnerabilities.
deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Doesn't youtube-dl need a newer ffmpeg that even that?

Anyway, I do have some backports of those packages for Stretch in this repo: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

as well as ffmpeg 4 and mpv 0.29 for Stretch in a separate OBS repo--they are quite successful on the Stretch-based MX Linux 17/18 releases, too.
MX Linux packager and developer

mrkapqa

#4 Post by mrkapqa »

thanks,

i tried to copy into
/usr/local/bin/
but that was not such a bright idea because ffmpeg did not find any packages like even basic liblamemp3 or the like.

with the help of wayback machine fortunately it is still accessible the older guides for compiling ffmpeg so with a bit of research it was quite doable to compile on my own ()

mainly just to convert videos into mp3 and the like

Code: Select all

rich@ubuntu:~/Music$ ffmpeg
ffmpeg version N-97118-gfa164bc Copyright (c) 2000-2020 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 4.7 (Debian 4.7.2-5)
  configuration: --prefix=/home/rich/ffmpeg_build --pkg-config-flags=--static --extra-cflags=-I/home/rich/ffmpeg_build/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/rich/ffmpeg_build/lib --bindir=/home/rich/bin --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-nonfree --extra-libs=-lpthread
  libavutil      56. 42.102 / 56. 42.102
  libavcodec     58. 77.101 / 58. 77.101
  libavformat    58. 42.100 / 58. 42.100
  libavdevice    58.  9.103 / 58.  9.103
  libavfilter     7. 77.101 /  7. 77.101
  libswscale      5.  6.101 /  5.  6.101
  libswresample   3.  6.100 /  3.  6.100
  libpostproc    55.  6.100 / 55.  6.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

would like if possible to create a .deb out of the mpv-build so that i could easier install mpv on other computers?;
is that what you mean by backporting?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

No, backporting is rebuilding a newer version in Debian from its debianized source code against your older libraries, so that the resulting deb packages are fully compatible with your system.

ffmpeg.org also offers static ffmpeg builds, but I don't know if they are compatible with Wheezy. https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

mrkapqa

#6 Post by mrkapqa »

hmm,

i don't yet understand fully;

do you mean to backport eg. a mpv version found in say repository debian stretch > download the source.code from debian packages > and then "rebuild" this into a mpv compatible on every debian wheezy64bit?

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

mrkapqa wrote:hmm,

i don't yet understand fully;

do you mean to backport eg. a mpv version found in say repository debian stretch > download the source.code from debian packages > and then "rebuild" this into a mpv compatible on every debian wheezy64bit?
I thought you wanted to use ffmpeg for file conversion. For that, just try downloading their static ffmpeg binary file into a folder and use that instead of the system ffmpeg. If you run the command in the same folder as the static ffmpeg, or give its full path, it will take precedence over the system version.

You may also look into Flatpack or AppImage versions of whatever packages you need, since Wheezy is unsupported.

The farthest back one of my mpv repos goes back is to Jessie: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... nal-ffmpeg

mrkapqa

#8 Post by mrkapqa »

stevepusser wrote:
mrkapqa wrote:hmm,

The farthest back one of my mpv repos goes back is to Jessie: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... nal-ffmpeg

Thanks, that sounds a recent version of Mpv;

I always wondered how came that the Debian version that got bundled with Jessie was allowed to be included in the repository - it seemed faulty from the beginning. (remember so many segmentation faults)

Built yesterday Mpv also on Powerpc64 for Wheezy - functions well - would be nice to have a guide to learn how to make a .deb out of it?

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

There's no easy way to "just make" a proper deb of it. You can make a half-assed deb with checkinstall, but it isn't really compatible with other computers like a proper deb would be.

You can try looking at some PPAs such for mpv source files that build with an included ffmpeg, and port those over to make proper debs like the ones in my repo--or even try rebuilding my Jessie source files on Wheezy. You can get them from the OBS without logging in there if you poke the right links or surf to the repository directly, and there's a basic guide to porting from PPAs in the Debian wiki.