Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[CLOSED] Installing Debian in a Lenovo 100S

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
qyron

[CLOSED] Installing Debian in a Lenovo 100S

#1 Post by qyron »

I have an opportunity to get one of these machines for very cheap, with the drawback that allegedly the password for the computer was forgotten which, in my experience usually means I'll have to reinstall the machine completely.

After a little search on the internet, apparently this system runs on UEFI, making it a bit more stubborn to reinstall, and I've only found people saying they are installing Ubuntu... a distro I make my best to avoid.

Does anyone know if installing Debian on such machine is even possible?
Last edited by qyron on 2020-03-29 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

pylkko

Re: Installing Debian in a Lenovo 100S

#2 Post by pylkko »

But Debian supports UEFI... Also Ubuntu is essentially Debian with some tweaks. Why exactly would it not be installable?

esp7

Re: Installing Debian in a Lenovo 100S

#3 Post by esp7 »

qyron wrote:Does anyone know if installing Debian on such machine is even possible?
yes, Debian will of course work but please think twice before buying this machine. it is very basic netbook, too slow for today's computing by our grandmothers. even new it is cheap, like 200 usd. for this price i would go for an used thinkpad, you can find perfect condition X230 for 150EUR/USD or less, add a basic SSD and double the ram to 8Gb and you have a machine which will perform for less than 200 usd.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/id ... 8EM10S0639

lenovo 100s, atom cpu, with max 2gb RAM, these machines are obsolete, stay far away... my honest advice. i do not understand how this thing is shipped with W10 pre-installed :mrgreen:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned