Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Missing text all over the system

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Shock9616

Missing text all over the system

#1 Post by Shock9616 »

Hello,

I am new to vanilla Debian but I have some experience with Ubuntu, Alpine Linux, and Raspbian. I just tried installing Debian in a Virtalbox virtual machine on my Mac just to try it out out of interest. I am having an issue with the text not showing up almost system wide. I selected the KDE Plasma desktop environment during installation because I know that I like the way that it looks, and as soon as I logged on, text was missing in notifications and menus and basically everywhere else. Is this a problem with the virtual machine or the desktop environment or something else? I have tried messing around with the font settings in the system preferences app (which it took me forever to find because there was no text) and that does not seem to have helped. It's not the end of the world if I can't fix it since I'm mostly just messing around with it out of interest, but I did spend a fair amount of time on the installation so I would like to fix this if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Missing text all over the system

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Does a plain openbox desktop work as expected? Perhaps you need the guest additions (or whatever they're called).

VirtualBox was removed from Debian's stable release because it's so crap but I think there are packages in the buster-backports repositories.
deadbang

Shock9616

#3 Post by Shock9616 »

I have installed the guest additions already and that did not fix the problem. I'm just installing openbox now to try and see if it works that way. How would I add these buster-backports repositories and what kinds of packages should I look for in them?

Shock9616

#4 Post by Shock9616 »

Ok so when I try to log in with openbox instead of plasma, the machine just freezes and does nothing on a black screen before showing the desktop. I noticed in the few times that I was logging on that all of the text was there initially but as soon as I started typing in my password it all immediately disappears.