Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon Desktop Update

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
newb2debian

Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon Desktop Update

#1 Post by newb2debian »

I recently installed Debian 10 Buster with only the Cinnamon desktop. When using Debian, Cinnamon has been crashing for whatever reason and I don't know why. Is there a way to update the Cinnamon desktop to the newest version? If there is, could anyone explain how? If by command line, what's the command? Thanks.

ruwolf

Re: Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon Desktop Update

#2 Post by ruwolf »

How do you know, that it is Cinnamon error?
Look at logs for source of error, e.g. in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

newb2debian wrote:If by command line, what's the command?

Code: Select all

# apt install systemd-coredump
[wait for crash]

coredumpctl
See the man page for more.
deadbang

newb2debian

#4 Post by newb2debian »

Although I appreciate your responses for troubleshooting, my question was, and still is, "Is there a way to update the Cinnamon desktop to the newest version? If there is, could anyone explain how? If by command line, what's the command?" Thanks.

ruwolf

#5 Post by ruwolf »

newb2debian wrote:Is there a way to update the Cinnamon desktop to the newest version? If there is, could anyone explain how? If by command line, what's the command?
Yes and no.
You can install any libre software to your Debian, but not in standard way in stable distribution.
There is Debian policy which requires, that every package should be tested in unstable and testing releases: wiki.debian.org: Debian Releases
In other words, Debian is made more for stability and security 8) than for cutting edge versions of software.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

There's no current backport of the Cinnamon desktop for Buster, but I think it's only about 20 source packages or so that you need to put into a repo like at the openSUSE Build Service for them to build and host--then you only need a couple of lines to add the repo and its key.

The sources for the Cinnamon packages at Github have a debian folder that can be used for package builds, assuming you want something newer than upstream Debian may have. https://repology.org/project/cinnamon/versions

(I did do the 4.0.9 on a Stretch base for MX Linux you see in that link, so I'm not just blowing smoke.)
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-03-27 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I finished the XFCE 4.14 backport for Buster and Stretch on the OBS: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=20

Based on a problem I just fixed for our featherpad 0.11.1 build, I think I can also fix that orage update problem tomorrow so it goes smoothly.

I have the source files now for Cinnamon 4.2.X from the Mint repos, so I can start a repo for that now. There's one package that needs an extra tweak to build on the OBS, I think it's cjs, but I'm also pretty sure I can remember that tweak.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I've finished the base of Cinnamon 4.2.3 for Stretch, Buster, Bullseye, and Sid:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... nnamon-4.2

I've still got about twenty more packages to add, but they are either addons for Nemo like nemo-fileroller and nemo-dropbox, and IDK if Debian even packages those, or they are X-Apps like Pix, Xreader, or Xviewer.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Cinnamon 4.2.4 in the repo now, currently for Buster only, now sourced from upstream Debian. The Buster build works really well on my laptop. :D

I'll get the Stretch builds finished tomorrow.

newb2debian

#10 Post by newb2debian »

I know it's been a few months since I originally posted, but, I recently installed Debian 10.3.0 and I was finally able to get a coredump:

1) Cinnamon crashed and asked to be restarted (the first two lines).
2) Cinnamon completely logged me out of the desktop and I had to log back in (the last 2 lines).

For brevity I redacted the dates and times although it just happened not more than 15 minutes ago...

PID UID GID SIG COREFILE EXE
1394 1000 1000 7 present /usr/lib/tracker/tracker-miner-fs
1364 1000 1000 7 present /usr/bin/cinnamon
937 0 0 6 present /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg
1408 1000 1000 7 present /usr/lib/tracker/tracker-store

I'm not sure if this helps but it sure would be nice if Cinnamon would stop doing what it's doing. Any ideas? Thanks.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

What version of Cinnamon do you have installed?

newb2debian

#12 Post by newb2debian »

$ cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 3.8.8

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

You could try upgrading to the 4.2 version in my OBS repo to see if that makes any difference.

newb2debian

#14 Post by newb2debian »

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Interestingly, as another test, I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) 4, Debbie, to see how that would go. After a bit of using, it happened with this distribution also. The version of Cinnamon used in this distro is 4.4.8. I'm wondering if there is something occurring in the Cinnamon code? This has happened on different computers. Odd.

xlepws

#15 Post by xlepws »

stevepusser wrote:You could try upgrading to the 4.2 version in my OBS repo to see if that makes any difference.
or you could install the latest cinnamon package available, i.e. v4.4.8-2 either by running

apt -t sid install cinnamon
(with sid's dependencies) or

apt install cinnamon/sid
(your release's dependencies), and see what happens :)

trinidad

#16 Post by trinidad »

You might want to lower your system cache pressure setting. Default is 100. Try 50 and see if you get less crashes.

sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
Add the line below at the end of the file and save.

vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

xlepws wrote:see what happens
Both of your suggested commands do exactly the same thing. Lots of packages would be upgraded to the sid versions, including libc6.

Installing stuff from sid in a Debian stable system is a really stupid idea unless the user actually knows what they're doing, please don't post "advice" like that.

There's a very good reason why stevepusser has gone to the trouble of backporting the packages to the stable release.
deadbang

xlepws

#18 Post by xlepws »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
xlepws wrote:see what happens
Both of your suggested commands do exactly the same thing.
So what would be the command to install a single package, leaving all dependencies "unsolved" (or say, from the current release? I have found a (very old) discussion which mentions something like that: https://linuxaria.com/howto/how-to-inst ... an-testing; has anything changed since?
Installing stuff from sid in a Debian stable system is a really stupid idea unless the user actually knows what they're doing, please don't post "advice" like that.

There's a very good reason why stevepusser has gone to the trouble of backporting the packages to the stable release.
I will learn from this post, thanks man (In my mind I'd create a snapshot with timeshift or similar, then revert if anything went wrong). Btw Steve himself replied in the thread I linked above, saying best would be to backport..still true :)
Last edited by xlepws on 2020-03-27 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

xlepws wrote:So what would be the command to install a single package, leaving all dependencies "unsolved" (or say, from the current release? I have found a (very old) discussion which mentions something like that: https://linuxaria.com/howto/how-to-inst ... an-testing
That would only work if the dependencies were unversioned or if they had dependency versions that were satisfied by the packages in stable and that is not the case for many of the Cinnamon desktop packages.

I simulated your suggested commands on my buster box and in both cases a whole mass of dependencies from sid were pulled in, including libc6. B0rkage would be almost guaranteed. Feel free to try it on your system and prove me wrong though, I could do with a good laugh.
deadbang

xlepws

#20 Post by xlepws »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
xlepws wrote:So what would be the command to install a single package, leaving all dependencies "unsolved" (or say, from the current release? I have found a (very old) discussion which mentions something like that: https://linuxaria.com/howto/how-to-inst ... an-testing
That would only work if the dependencies were unversioned or if they had dependency versions that were satisfied by the packages in stable and that is not the case for many of the Cinnamon desktop packages.

I simulated your suggested commands on my buster box and in both cases a whole mass of dependencies from sid were pulled in, including libc6. B0rkage would be almost guaranteed. Feel free to try it on your system and prove me wrong though, I could do with a good laugh.
I believe you :) I will install a Deb10 stable and try myself though..maybe :D This said, I was just wondering if the 2 commands I suggested (after reading them on the page I linked) are meant to do the same thing..or 2 different things (1st with dependencies, 2nd without) but eventually result in the same output.