Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Solved: Would like GPU card reccomendation, please

Need help with peripherals or devices?
No_windows

Solved: Would like GPU card reccomendation, please

#1 Post by No_windows »

Those of you that keep track of hardware...

I'm in the process of upgrading to a new used computer. I've been using an old Proliant DL380G5, then unexpectedly had to throw the drives into a DL360G5, and have been using Jessie since 2015. I now have a DL360G6 to work with and it has the same ATI ES1000 chip that the previous machines have. Graphics have always been the limitation for me with using a server as a desktop PC. I don't require phenomenal graphics abilities, but I would like to make an upgrade here, as I would like to go to a larger monitor/resolution and have a better performance overall.

I'll be running Buster if I can figure out how to get my Broadcom firmware loaded.

Here's what I need, no particular order of priority.

Either PCIe 2 x8 or x16. The x8 slot is physically an x8 slot and is half height.
Single card width as this is a 1U machine
Preferably fanless
Preferably no extra power lead needed
Absolutely something that plays well with Debian... I don't care if it requires non-free firmware.
Cheap new or used
Decent modern performance for an email/web computer
I don't have a connection preference..... I have and HDMI, DVI, and VGA cables (Is their another modern/common option here). I plan on buying a newer monitor any way.

There are so many options out there and I have been out of the hardware loop forever..... I recently pulled a Xeon processor and my first thought was wow, this is about the size of a 486 :-)
Last edited by No_windows on 2020-03-26 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

No_windows

Re: Would like GPU card reccomendation, please

#2 Post by No_windows »

So I've been looking on ebay for a couple of hours..... every time I think I find a more modern chipset/card, I find it's EOL!

Does the nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver work well? I'm thinking of getting a Nvidia Quadro 600.

No_windows

#3 Post by No_windows »

So I learned there is a new video connection now. Something called "DisplayPort". It looks a lot like HDMI, which is what I'd like to use because of the size, but it's not critical. The Quadro 600 has a Displayport and DVI. The monitor I'm looking at has VGA and DVI, just like my existing monitor.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Ironically No_windows, I use a K600 in a debian box with, for a windows vm...

The DVI will drive a VGA. The display port can be adapted too. Mine drives a VGA and a HDMI w/ sound for the vm. It's decent, and sized right.

No_windows

#5 Post by No_windows »

I just ordered it through ebay. Less than $20 shipped.
The DVI will drive a VGA. The display port can be adapted too. Mine drives a VGA and a HDMI w/ sound for the vm. It's decent, and sized right.
You're driving two monitors with the one card?

How does the sound split out from the Display-Port/HDMI.... or is it simply carrying the signal to built in speakers? I've heard of HDMI before, but I have no experience with it.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

No_windows wrote: You're driving two monitors with the one card?
Sure! It should work with nouveau just fine. Yes, the sound is only on the Display port, and pass through a DP>HDMI cable to a 1920*1080. Often the sound can be diverted in the monitor to the audio out port on the monitor, pipe it to something better if you'd like. Since I don't stop at 2 monitors, virtual machines have their sound through the monitor(s) instead of blending with the 'main' sound system.
The second monitor is a VGA 1980*1200 and shares duties with other parts of the system.

Often with 'onboard' audio enabled and the 'hda' sound on the DP port, you will need to manually select the audio path. If you have working onboard audio, stick with that.

I can't speak to the nvidia drivers since I'll never try them. This nvidia machine uses a 750Ti with 4 ports for the host using nouveau, the K600 using Quadro XP drivers. The pair has been up for the last 3 years driving 5 monitors. I tried to replace the 'lowly' K600 more than once, it keeps proving its worth. It's a solid workhorse, and is destined to migrate to a newer machine I've had built for nearly a year. That's 3 amd gpu's that is not working out. The amd's spank the nvidia's, but are not nearly as stable. The K600 might take over host duties in the new machine, so I would be interested to hear how you like it under debian. Congrats, I think you'll like it, post back your experience.

Also, under buster you might need/want to have firmware-misc-nonfree installed. The K600 is in the 'gp107' group included that package? Nouveau may well use better memory routines and connect to the clock and power control when using the nonfree firmware, I'm not sure how much of that is done.

No_windows

#7 Post by No_windows »

Hmm, it looks like we will have different cards. There is both a 600 and a K600. The card I'm getting is a 600... no K.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

close enough, the K is slightly newer, same ballpark.

No_windows

#9 Post by No_windows »

Supposed to be delivered today!!!

No_windows

#10 Post by No_windows »

The Quadro 600 seems to be running well under MX19.1 (nouveau).... what I installed when I couldn't figure out how to get the Buster installer to load the Broadcom firmware. Next, I'll work on Debian 10 again.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

No_windows wrote:The Quadro 600 seems to be running well under MX19.1 (nouveau).... what I installed when I couldn't figure out how to get the Buster installer to load the Broadcom firmware. Next, I'll work on Debian 10 again.
If you need help with the Broadcom stuff, check to see what driver it's using in MX with "inxi -Nxx", then search here for answers. Start a new thread if you're stumped.
MX Linux packager and developer