Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trying to install Debian 8.10.0 CD 1 without success

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
wnlewis

Trying to install Debian 8.10.0 CD 1 without success

#1 Post by wnlewis »

I'm trying to install Debian 8.10.0 on a Sawtooth (AGP) 32 bit, G4 PowerPC (not Intel) with a 1 GHz processor and 1 Gb of RAM. The 300 Gb HD that I am using has be divided into 3 distinct, equally sized "disks". I installed OS 10.5.8 on the first and second "disks" to start with and used the first "disk" for the Linux installation.

I do a firmware boot Command + Option + O + F and then type in boot CD:,\install\yaboot. Then I type in install32 and away we go. I leave the Apple partition of alone. If it needs to be resized or have anything done to it, I am not certain what to do.

Each time I make a partition, or go back to a partition, in the Linux setup, there is a dialogue box. I am not certain what are the correct options for each dialogue box.

The second partition is a "Boot" partition of 1 Mb size. That seems to need New World selected.

The third partition is the swap partition, which I set at 2 Gb, since the RAM is limited. That I set at swap.

The fourth is the Linux partition and I set the size at the remaining Free Space, less about 134 Mb of space, to make sure that in case the head of the HD doesn't set down in the right spot, the head does not accidentally write to the next "disk". I also make it the root.

The install program installs the rest of the software and asks if I want to find a mirror to finish the install. Since this is older software, and I don't think Debian supports PowerPC at this time with new software, I answer no. I tried "yes" one time just to see and was told there was nothing available for the installation.

The installation process ends and the DVD gets ejected.

Then I reboot. I hold down on the Option key. A screen comes up with bootable "disks" displayed, one is an icon with Tux on it and the word Linux.

I select that image and click OK.

I get to the next screen which only appears for about 1 second. On it are three boot options, linux "l", mac (meaning OS 9) "m", and "X" (meaning OS10.5), I quickly type "l". Unfortunately, even though I do that, the process reverts to the first screen, drive selection. It will never boot into Linux.

If I select the "X" it tries to boot into an OS 10 disk and hangs at a gray screen. After that happens, to get back to normal Macintosh behavior, I have to hold down on the Option + Command + P + R keys until it chimes about two or three times and clears the PRAM. After that I can boot into OS 10.4.11, 10.5.8, or 9.2.2.

What have I done incorrectly?

Thanks.

cuckooflew

Re: Trying to install Debian 8.10.0 CD 1 without success

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

It is really hard to make sense of your post, but one thing stands out:
The fourth is the Linux partition and I set the size at the remaining Free Space, less about 134 Mb of space, to make sure that in case the head of the HD doesn't set down in the right spot, the head does not accidentally write to the next "disk". I also make it the root.
Read some documentation on Debian, since Debian 8 is outdated and no longer supported it is a little harder to find the documentation, but it is on their website and in the wiki, in a nut shell I don't think you are giving it enough diskspace, if your partition is less then 134 mb, and it sounds like that,..:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 05.html.en 2.5. Memory and Disk Space Requirements

You must have at least 135MB of memory and 780MB of hard disk space to perform a normal installation. Note that these are fairly minimal numbers. For more realistic figures, see Section 3.4, “Meeting Minimum Hardware Requirements”.

Installation on systems with less memory[2] or disk space available may be possible but is only advised for experienced users.

[2] Installation images that support the graphical installer require more memory than images that support only the textual installer and should not be used on systems with less than 135MB of memory. If there is a choice between booting the text-based and the graphical installer, the former should be selected on such systems.
==================
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/ ... 02.html.en ;
D.2. Disk Space Needed for Tasks

A standard installation for the amd64 architecture, including all standard packages and using the default kernel, takes up 822MB of disk space. A minimal base installation, without the “Standard system” task selected, will take 506MB.
[Important] Important

In both cases this is the actual disk space used after the installation is finished and any temporary files deleted. It also does not take into account overhead used by the file system, for example for journal files. This means that significantly more disk space is needed both during the installation and for normal system use.
Try reading some documentation, it should have answers to your questions concerning Debian, I can not help with the questions concerning OS 10, and the mac issues, mac (meaning OS 9) "m", and "X" (meaning OS10.5), mac (meaning OS 9) "m", and "X" (meaning OS10.5),...how ever there is some documentation on the debian website specifically for mac users. Maybe try reading some of it. Maybe someone else will no more about that as well. Have a good day or night..time for me to take my meds, so that is all for now.

wnlewis

#3 Post by wnlewis »

The total space for the actual Linux installation is about 89 Gb, less (minus) the 134 Mb for a Free Space (meaning, I left that amount to be Free Space).

wnlewis

#4 Post by wnlewis »

Thank you for pointing out the wiki. I will go through it and see what I can figure out.