Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot delete files on NTFS drive - no trash folder

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
skraaj

Cannot delete files on NTFS drive - no trash folder

#1 Post by skraaj »

Hi, got a bit of a problem with NTFS drive in LXQT.

Whenever I try to delete a file with a file manager I get the following error message "Unable to find or create trash directory for /home/$USER/Disks/HDD1/$FILE_IN_QUESTION". If I use CLI I can remove files without any problems though.

The drive is an ADATA SU800 formatted to NTFS. I want it to be accessible from Windows as well, so it has to stay NTFS. The drive does not have ".Trash-1000" directory.

I can remove files from other NTFS drive normally, it contains ".Trash-1000". I tried to copy that folder to the other drive (same priviliges and ownership) but it did not help.

Any suggestion how can I create the Trash for that drive so that I do not have to relog to Windows or use CLI to delete files?

Debian Buster 10, lxqt, pcman and Thunar.

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=ABCD /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=ABCD  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=ABCD none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

/dev/sdb2 /home/$USER/Disks/HDD1        ntfs    defaults,umask=0000     0       0
/dev/sdc2 /home/$USER/Disks/HDD2        ntfs    defaults,umask=0000     0       0

Deb-fan

Re: Cannot delete files on NTFS drive - no trash folder

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Would go ahead and recursively chown the mount point just cause, can't hurt. Ie:

"sudo chown -R $USER:$USER home/$USER/Disks/HDD2"

No quotes, correct mount pt of course. Been awhile since dealing with ntfs but remember always used other mount options for a shared windows partition like uid=1000,gid=1000 (assuming you're user/group 1000) in addition to the umask=000 which should make it globally accessible to anyone. Lastly have you tried holding down shift + delete? Supposed to bypass trash and permanently delete stuff.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

skraaj

#3 Post by skraaj »

Shift+del works, so that's a workaround.

But still, even with recursive chown/chmod – nothing. As I wrote, I suspect the lack of system made .Trash-1000 is at fault, which I am totally clueless how to deal with. Search engines are no help, looks like it's not a common problem

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

When 1st getting into gnu/nix, did the same and found the same fixes. Creating a trash in the partition involved, you've done that. Might try again, creating that trash directory fresh same name you're using in the partition and delete the copied one. One way or another always got it working, that info posted above is pretty much everything I remember about what's involved. No matter what shift + delete works. Could even be somewhat of a good thing, it'll make people think about what they're deleting, whether or not it's what they want to do. :)

PS, in Thunar you still get the confirmation dialogue which is good too. May make me give things a final look-over before proceeding. Also being gnu/nix even worst case, no doubt plenty of data recovery utils anyway. Having a working trash was generally viewed as an aggravation, if I go to delete something, I want it gone. Not stashed somewhere else still taking up disk space.
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2020-03-26 03:08, edited 2 times in total.

skraaj

#5 Post by skraaj »

True, tbh I delete items permanently anyways, but I just want to fix the issue – now it simply bugs me...

Creating Trash folder with subfolder structure inside anew did nothing unfortunately.

If anyone has an idea what can I try, feel free to share :D

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

^Lol, added a ps rant. :) Totally get the it's just annoying me thing too. :)

Ps again, someone really wants to get gungho could even start digging around in a file managers innards, when someone selects something in Thunar-etc and chooses delete, somewhere in one of it's config files, it's set to run a given cmd for that task. Someone could want fine grained control over something like this for other reasons, say x-user wants all partitions to put trash in the same trashcan. Might try asking at the Xfce forum, any super Thunar Ninja's around, should be found places like that. :)

Ps again, again, again, lol. For Thunar something like above should be fairly easy, it does have config files for controlling custom actions in users /home, adding things like "open terminal here" etc. With trash (or trash in 1 can) Shouldn't be much harder than using the mv command and setting the path where someone wants things moved to. :)