help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby Const » 2020-03-24 12:34

Hello to all the people of this forum !

As you can see im am not only new to this forum but also new to debian and linux in general.
My name is Constantine and here is my short story with linux and how i got to install debian jessie 8 on my 2nd hard drive.
Some person from where i work introduced me to debian jessie linux 8 because i needed to copy an old (1st gen) SCSI hard drive and he told me that the best way to it is using the dd command from the terminal (su, fdisk -l, dd). Further more he gave me this debian jessie install cd because according to what he said it will be compatible with my very old hdd. Actually his advice proved very useful and copy was sucesfull.
This is pretty much all the experience i have with debian jessie 8 and linux in general.
A few days ago i found a box with my old floppy disks dating back to 1992. I started copying them to save their contents. I found a set of setup disks for windows 3.1but disk 2 has a few bad blocks. I read about the badblocks command and used it to find the bad bloks numbers. Further google search lead me to 2fsck command that obviously does not work with whatever file system the floppy uses (probably fat 16).
Could someone guide me on what to do to recover the floppy ?

I am sure i will need to do the same in the future with the rest of my floppys.

Thank you so much and have a nice day.
Const
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2020-03-24 12:02

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-24 19:39

Your post is too prolix, please try to be more concise and avoid waffle in future.

Const wrote:Could someone guide me on what to do to recover the floppy ?

Search the interweb for a guide to "fix badblocks linux". I'm bored atm so I did it for you: https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/how-t ... -in-linux/

Btw:
Const wrote:he gave me this debian jessie install cd because according to what he said it will be compatible with my very old hdd

Debian jessie will be EOL in June and the Linux devs don't usually remove old drivers so you should probably update to the current stable release soon.
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 11987
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby p.H » 2020-03-24 21:48

Repairing bad sectors is not the same as recovering the data.
p.H
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: 2017-09-17 07:12

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby pcalvert » 2020-03-25 22:08

First of all, lock the disk so you don't accidentally write to it.

Install GNU ddrescue:
Code: Select all
aptitude install gddrescue

Then use ddrescue to make an image copy of the floppy disk.

Here's a good help page for ddrescue:
http://web.archive.org/web/201908291343 ... i/Ddrescue

And here is some more info:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
https://www.linux.com/topic/desktop/gnu ... ve-rescue/

Phil
Last edited by pcalvert on 2020-03-25 23:08, edited 2 times in total.
“Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive good
in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become
rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.”
— Abraham Lincoln
pcalvert
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: 2006-04-21 11:19
Location: Sol Sector

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby Const » 2020-03-25 22:35

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Your post is too prolix, please try to be more concise and avoid waffle in future.

Const wrote:Could someone guide me on what to do to recover the floppy ?

Search the interweb for a guide to "fix badblocks linux". I'm bored atm so I did it for you: https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/how-t ... -in-linux/

Btw:
Const wrote:he gave me this debian jessie install cd because according to what he said it will be compatible with my very old hdd

Debian jessie will be EOL in June and the Linux devs don't usually remove old drivers so you should probably update to the current stable release soon.


Thank you. i will check it out

How can i update to current stable release ? Forgive me for i have no idea.

p.H wrote:Repairing bad sectors is not the same as recovering the data.

True. Well i want to recover the data, i dont really care about the actual floppy disk.

pcalvert wrote:First of all, lock the disk so you don't accidentally write to it.

Install GNU ddrescue:
Code: Select all
aptitude install gddrescue

Then use ddrescue to make an image copy of the floppy disk.

Will add a link to a tutorial later...

Phil


Thank you ! Ive googled and found this: https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
is that the one ?
Last edited by Const on 2020-03-25 23:02, edited 3 times in total.
Const
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2020-03-24 12:02

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby pcalvert » 2020-03-25 22:50

Const wrote:Thank you ! Ive googled and found this: https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
is that the one ?

That's the correct program, but not the page I was thinking of. Go back and read my first reply again. I've added to it, and will add some more information to it in a few minutes.

Phil
“Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive good
in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become
rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.”
— Abraham Lincoln
pcalvert
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: 2006-04-21 11:19
Location: Sol Sector

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby Const » 2020-03-25 23:03

pcalvert wrote:
Const wrote:Thank you ! Ive googled and found this: https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
is that the one ?

That's the correct program, but not the page I was thinking of. Go back and read my first reply again. I've added to it, and will add some more information to it in a few minutes.

Phil


Thank you Sir !
Const
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2020-03-24 12:02

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby Const » 2020-03-28 07:07

I am not sure what am i doing wrong but it seems that i cant find a download link to the iso file :(
Const
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2020-03-24 12:02

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby p.H » 2020-03-28 07:34

What ISO file are you talking about ?
p.H
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: 2017-09-17 07:12

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby Const » 2020-03-28 07:41

Const wrote:
pcalvert wrote:
Const wrote:Thank you ! Ive googled and found this: https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
is that the one ?

That's the correct program, but not the page I was thinking of. Go back and read my first reply again. I've added to it, and will add some more information to it in a few minutes.

Phil


Thank you Sir !


The one mentioned here for ddrescue
Const
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 2020-03-24 12:02

Re: help recovering data from fdd with bad blocks.

Postby p.H » 2020-03-28 08:01

Mentioned where exactly ? I do not see any ISO file mentioned in this thread.
p.H
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: 2017-09-17 07:12


Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable