Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon Desktop Update

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian 10 Buster Cinnamon Desktop Update

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

xlepws wrote:2 different things (1st with dependencies, 2nd without) but eventually result in the same output
^ This.
deadbang

newb2debian

#22 Post by newb2debian »

trinidad...the sysctl.conf file was empty so I added the line you suggested, and after some research, another line to the file:

vm.swappiness=10
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

Although I still get Cinnamon crashes, they don't seem to be as frequent.

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

xlepws wrote:
stevepusser wrote:You could try upgrading to the 4.2 version in my OBS repo to see if that makes any difference.
or you could install the latest cinnamon package available, i.e. v4.4.8-2 either by running

Code: Select all

apt -t sid install cinnamon
(with sid's dependencies) or

Code: Select all

apt install cinnamon/sid
(your release's dependencies), and see what happens :)
You can crash your car into a cement wall at 200 kph to "see what happens", but it wouldn't be my advice to anyone!
MX Linux packager and developer

trinidad

#24 Post by trinidad »

vm.swappiness=10
Adjust swappiness the other way. Default is 60 so set it to 80. Things like this are relative to each other. Cache pressure down swappiness up can help with sporadic system RAM shortage. Performance difference on such a machine should be negligible for most things but crashes should be less frequent.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

newb2debian

#25 Post by newb2debian »

trinidad...changed swappiness to 80. Thanks.

I think I may have found what is causing the Cinnamon crashes - BleachBit (the repo version and the upgraded 3.2.0 version). When I finish using my computer I run BleachBit and then mouse down to the Menu button and click and that's where most of the issues occur. The system locks up and then logs me out of the desktop. Odd.

stevepusser

#26 Post by stevepusser »

There's an old thread here called the Repo Mix and Match parade by the late and sorely missed daesin: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130

It dates back to the time where I came up with the method to downgrade libc6 safely on Wheezy, so maybe I mentioned it in that thread. I don't have time to go through it today, but it's amusing reading anyway. We haven't had any users really mess up their systems enough to get added to the thread, but we could always start again with you. :D
MX Linux packager and developer