Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia Geforce GT 710 with kernel 5.4

Need help with peripherals or devices?
aglomerator

Nvidia Geforce GT 710 with kernel 5.4

#1 Post by aglomerator »

Hi,

I have an up-to-date Debian testing installation (on x86-64) with kernel 5.4.15 and nvidia-driver 440.64-2 installed by the nvidia-driver metapackage. The driver installed successfully and initrd was updated. On bootup the nvidia-persistenced doesn't start due to no devices like /dev/nvidia*. Then the X server doesn't start with this at the end of Xorg.log:

[ 30.539] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[ 30.539] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[ 30.539] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[ 30.544] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
[ 30.544] (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages and
[ 30.544] (EE) NVIDIA: consult the NVIDIA README for details.
[ 30.544] (EE) No devices detected.
[ 30.544] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 30.544] (EE) no screens found(EE)

The driver does support the video card, according to the docs and nvidia-detect. It also works with kernel 5.2.17-1 and there are /dev/nvidia* devices when booting that kernel.

I don't see anything else suspicious in kernel.log or syslog. Any idea how to fix it or investigate further?

Thanks.

aglomerator

Re: Nvidia Geforce GT 710 with kernel 5.4

#2 Post by aglomerator »

PROBLEM SOLVED

Running:

Code: Select all

modprobe nvidia -vv
...revealed that the kernel module actually wasn't installed for kernel 5.4.15. (I am guessing this is supposed to happen automatically when a new kernel is added and so maybe there was an error message burried in the update logs, but really not obvious.)

Code: Select all

apt-get reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms
...after booting kernel 5.4.15 installed the missing module and X works now.