Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

10.3 on HP 14-dq1039wm

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
alceryes

10.3 on HP 14-dq1039wm

#1 Post by alceryes »

I just got a new HP 14" laptop and am having some difficulty getting it to dual boot Windows and Debian. I've been reading up on getting it going. Turned off secure boot and disabled the 16GB Intel Optane drive and I think I'm very close to working but have hit another snag.
I went through the install in the free space I created. Created the swap and / partitions, but when it got to the grub bootloader I got a "executing 'grub-install dummy' failed. This is a fatal error." I decided to 'continue anyway' and it finished but, of course, it still only boots into Windows. How can I get the bootloader installed properly?

TIA!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: 10.3 on HP 14-dq1039wm

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You do appreciate that brand new hardware and year-old Debian stable releases are seldom happy bedfellows, right?
alceryes wrote:Turned off secure boot
You don't have to do that, Debian buster fully supports Secure Boot.
alceryes wrote:when it got to the grub bootloader I got a "executing 'grub-install dummy' failed. This is a fatal error."
Did you check TTY4 or the installer log for the actual full error messages?

And what did your search of the forums that you conducted before posting tell you about that error? We've had a few threads featuring that exact message recently...

Anyway, please load up a live ISO image in UEFI mode and post the output of

Code: Select all

efibootmgr -v
# parted --list
deadbang

alceryes

#3 Post by alceryes »

Thanks for your reply.
Ahhh, I thought because this was 10.3 (released recently) that it might have updated drivers. I guess it's only security, package, and OS fixes in the minor updates. I have re-enabled secure boot. I can't even get the latest live image to run. On boot I get about a dozen ACPI errors and then after selecting the 'run Debian live' option I just get a flashing cursor in the upper left forever.

From what Dr. G says, I'll need to disable ACPI to get this working but that will cause USBs, WiFi, etc. to not work. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

alceryes wrote:I can't even get the latest live image to run. On boot I get about a dozen ACPI errors and then after selecting the 'run Debian live' option I just get a flashing cursor in the upper left forever.
It is running, you just don't have a graphical desktop. Confirm this by switching to a console (TTY) screen. ACPI errors are common and not necessarily debilitating.

Use the newer kernel from the backports repository to get better support for recent hardware.
deadbang

alceryes

#5 Post by alceryes »

Thanks for your help. I decided to go the Windows - VirtualBox installation route and have Debian up and running now.