Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

X570 Motherboard with RX 5500 XT on Sid?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Tony G

X570 Motherboard with RX 5500 XT on Sid?

#1 Post by Tony G »

I want to assemble a new Ryzen based computer and I would appreciate advice.

My plan is to run Sid on a Ryzen 7 CPU, M.2 SSD boot drive, X570 motherboard (likely Asus), and a Navi based Radeon RX 5500 XT video card. I will not be using the computer for gaming, but I want to run the desktop (KDE) at 4K and watch 4K video.

My main question is should this hardware work decently with Sid and the 5.5.x kernel?

A few more questions.

I’m looking for a upper to mid range x570 motherboard. Asus Republic of Gamers Strix X570-E, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Asus Prime X570P are all on my list. Are other similarly featured boards better supported on Linux, or are Asus x570 boards a generally good choice for Debian?

Are some x570 mainboard brands and models to be avoided?

Will Sid stay on 5.5.x kernel until Bullseye moves to Stable, or may Sid upgrade to 5.6.x?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: X570 Motherboard with RX 5500 XT on Sid?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Tony G wrote:Will Sid stay on 5.5.x kernel until Bullseye moves to Stable
Not a chance. It will probably be >6 by then.

As I've just noted in your other thread the buster-backports kernel should work with new Ryzen processors but your graphics card might need newer firmware which isn't even available in sid (yet). You could try MX's new linux-firmware package for that, it should be compatible with Debian.

Not sure if buster-backports will help much with the RX5500XT though, there are no newer packages for the amdgpu DDX driver or mesa.
deadbang

Tony G

#3 Post by Tony G »

Not a chance. It will probably be >6 by then.
Well that's a good thing. If I procrastinate a few more months, maybe the software will catch up to the hardware.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

No need to wait: try this Buster-based respin I did in a live session. It has what you're asking for, and is known to work with the RX 5700 XT. It's sort of a preview of the upcoming MX 19.2 "AHS" edition.

https://archive.org/details/mx19x64updated

Sid's firmware still dates back to July 2019, and does not include Navi support (as well as much other newer firmware), which is why I reluctantly had to port over the Ubuntu "linux-firmware" package for MX.
MX Linux packager and developer

Tony G

#5 Post by Tony G »

Thanks for that, but I haven't bought the first piece of hardware yet.

Do you have a good guess as to when the Sid firmware might get updated?

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Not a clue. It used to be updated much more frequently, and there have been several bugs already filed against it for being too old for new hardware. But now you know that hardware can be supported on a Buster base, only with some extra sauce.
MX Linux packager and developer