Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GNU Video Conferencing software

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ice.shark

GNU Video Conferencing software

#1 Post by ice.shark »

Hi,

Is there any video conferencing software that is GNU/free? Most VOIP, video and conferencing software seems to be proprietary. Have you used any software that is similar to Webex?

Assuming I am somewhat correct and there isn't a free conferencing solution, I am really amazed that the open source community hasn't come up with a such tool. I would imagine that in highly distributed projects such as debian that would be one of the tools that are necessary - similar to the situation that called for git to be developed.

Regards

schnuller

Re: GNU Video Conferencing software

#2 Post by schnuller »

apt-cache search video conference
doesn't give results?

To answer your question:
No, i haven't used such software.

Fernando Negro

#4 Post by Fernando Negro »

http://trisquel.info/en/forum/good-russ ... tive-skype

(From what I later learned, the mentioned software doesn't seem to rely on P2P technology, like Skype - but, to use Russian servers instead, for the communication.)
I just *love* the stability, much more bug-free nature, and modular installation options of Debian. Apart from the unfortunate adoption of "systemd" (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=129881&start=165#p671030) this distribution is *great*.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Has anyone tried the "Hello" video chat client built into Firefox 34 and up, using WebRTC? You should be able to answer the invite with older Firefox versions, also Chrome, Chromium, and Opera.
MX Linux packager and developer

xT440s

#6 Post by xT440s »

I am not sure if this fits your need, but you could take a look at Jitsi. It is in simple terms a free Skype with encryption I think.

gradinaruvasile

#7 Post by gradinaruvasile »

There is Jitsi Meet:
https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiMeet

It has some basic functions, web based. It works only in Chromium/Chrome/ChrOpera ATM. You can even install on your own server, its open source - it quite painless for Debian. The screen sharing feature works only if you install a Chrome extension that has to be compiled with your server name explicitly and uploaded to Chrome extensions (Chrome security policy). Voice/video works OOTB.

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

linphone package in Buster's repo worked in my test even between Linux and windows hosts, windows version has to downloaded from https://www.linphone.org/

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

This is spam, the guy necrobumpped the thread (from six years ago) only to "mention" his software that he works for/gets a commission from. The user has this post and another, and it also only name drops his product...

EDIT: the post this refers to was later removed by moderators
Last edited by pylkko on 2020-04-14 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

#10 Post by arzgi »

Thanks pylkko, should have noted date.