Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Black Screen on the installation (pls help TT)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Franco

Black Screen on the installation (pls help TT)

#1 Post by Franco »

Hey guys, :D
I really need help... I've picked up from my school a server. So i want to put on it Debian and it's impossible, i don't understand why. I have lost so much hours to solve this...
So my server is composed of :
Ram: 40Go of DDR2 667Mhz
*2Processor: AMD Opterin Processor 2382 2.3GHz 8 core (or maybe 2*4core i'm not sure)
Motherboard: Thunder n3600M S2932-E (https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S2932-E_S2932WG2NR-E)

SO, my problem is when i'm in front of the debian Selection installation mode, i select Install, press 'enter' and after nothing, just a black screen :(
I have search for that, i've try to add parameter (i press 'tab' add things like nomodeset or xmodule=vesa and press 'enter') or change USB stick or flash the iso with rufus and after with Etcher or look all the BIOS settings or sit on it and boot it, even that doesen't work lol...
PLS really help me, I really need help... and obviously i don't want to give-up ! :cry:

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Black Screen on the installation (pls help TT)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Does the non-grahical installer work? How about the unofficial non-free Debian ISO images?

Note that Rufus needs "DD" mode [sic] to correctly transfer Debian images.
deadbang

Franco

#3 Post by Franco »

So is I use Etcher for transfer the Debian image i don't need to add anything alwright ?
And no I've not try the non graphical and the unofficial non-free Debian ISO images but where i can find it to be sure ?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Franco wrote:So is I use Etcher for transfer the Debian image i don't need to add anything alwright ?
No idea about Etcher, I've never used it.

The official installation guide advises using win32diskimager if you only have Windows installed.
Franco wrote:where i can find it to be sure ?
Enter my description into your favourite search engine.
deadbang

Franco

#5 Post by Franco »

ohhhw okeyy :)
So thanks i don't know for win32diskimager I'll use it !
I'll tell you if I finally get Debian installed ^^'
And if you speak about the mode Install that's juste gave me the same black screen. Same as the Graphical installation mode

Franco

#6 Post by Franco »

So I've tryed Graphical and not graphical installation with the non-official (installed with win32imager) and the official debian, after I've tryed with parameters... Same problem

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

What's the GPU? Does it even have one?

You could try booting another distro in a live session that includes everything already, just to find out, if you can't find it in the box. Mint or MX usually work well for that.
MX Linux packager and developer

Franco

#8 Post by Franco »

I've look on the dataSheet of the motherboard on google and I've found this: GPU nVIDIA nForce® Professional 3600 (NFP 3600)

And i have tryed with Ubuntu Server and that's gave me the same Black Screen but at this time with an blinking '_'
But i'll try Mint so ^^

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For NVIDIA try

Code: Select all

nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0
deadbang

Franco

#10 Post by Franco »

Mint dosen't work too, I've a blinking '_' Obviously I've try with parameters

With Debian now I've try with nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0 and same black screen

BUT i try another time with Ubuntu server and that work with nomodeset BUT at the 7th step i think, he say error ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and now when i want to boot on Ubuntu server he not work, only a black screen with an blinking '_' ...

I've try with Ubuntu Desktop and THAT'S WORK O_o... (with nomodeset)

I want to die ? x)

ps: on Debian i write it like this in Intall mode "/install.amd/vmlinuz vega=788 initrd=/install.amd/initrd.gz --- quiet nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0" and press 'enter'