Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wifi not working

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Debianuser1

wifi not working

#1 Post by Debianuser1 »

I have done clean installations for various Debian distros, but i can not make my wifi work. it works in older version of Debian
I have read some of the recommendations form others in the forum, but their issue at some point or another differs from mine.
I have an Asus UX50V Lap top, intel wifi link 5100. I need help to get it to work

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: wifi not working

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

nonfree package "firmware-iwlwifi". If that doesn't get it to work, yours may be hard or soft blocked, but only "it doesn't work" is quite useless for troubleshooting.
MX Linux packager and developer

Debianuser1

#4 Post by Debianuser1 »

I have the non-free packages installed. the wifi does work in older versions, I kept a copy of an older version to check if the wifi card was working and it does. In latest version is not working

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you checked

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/rfkill
deadbang

sandwich

#6 Post by sandwich »

In my case on Debian 10, the networking service was attempting to bring up an interface with a name that does not exist on my machine. This was causing the whole networking service to fail (so no wifi either). You can check on your machine with

systemctl status networking.service
On my machine, the solution was to modify this file: /etc/network/interfaces.d/setup and remove all the lines that mentioned the non-existent interface.

Hope that helps

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Find the interface name with

ip link
deadbang