Black login screen and cannot startx after Buster installati

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: Black login screen and cannot startx after Buster instal

Postby Julius22 » 2020-04-28 14:18

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:That's far too vague, please post exactly what you have done.

Thanks for the quick reply. The only thing that I kept was to generate a new xorg.conf file and to put it in /etc/X11/. I also tried to change the AccelMethod to uxa in xorg.conf as I read in an other post that someone solved the same problem thanks to this (with the same xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted) message), but canceled my change. I also tried to add the BusID (PCI:0:2:0) in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.20-intel.conf file (even if it is not supposed to be changed).

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Julius22 wrote:Startx works well with sudo.

*Never* do that. The permissions in $HOME are now b0rked so you will have to run the chown command in my last post to fix them.

I've aldready read this several times. But it was just to check if the permissions were involved and my machine is not a critical one. I also read that you can now start a session without being root.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Why are you booted with the kernel from Debian jessie?

I learn that I'm running a kernel from Jessie while I'm reading you! :shock: So, I don't know. It might be due to the fact that I upgraded my system from Wheezy these last days (edit: and to the fact that this is an LTS version). But I didn't want nor ask to keep an old kernel.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you even read the rest of the thread? Remove that and try the snippet I posted earlier. But only try that once you've figured out how to run with the buster kernel. Go through the official release notes and check the upgrade guides because you're obviously doing it wrong.

Yes, I've read the whole thread. About the snippet, do you mean the below command? If this is the case, I wanted to understand what exactly the problem was in order to avoid "playing" with the permissions. During my upgrades, I followed and read the release notes and the upgrade guides. I've read what problems could happen but did'nt think my system was concerned. So, I'm focusing now about the kernel version.
Code: Select all
# chown -R $user:$user /home/$user # replace $user with the actual user name

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:That shows a normal session with no errors.

Good to read. :) But why then is there this xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted) message? I hope that I don't bother you with my question but only want to understand things. Is this something that one doesn't need to worry about?
Anyway, thanks for your answer to someone unexperienced to Debian who I am. :)
Julius22

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-04-28 15:02

Julius22 wrote:I also tried to add the BusID (PCI:0:2:0) in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.20-intel.conf file (even if it is not supposed to be changed).

If you want to alter that file copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and edit it there instead. Do that and remove the xorg.conf you have added, most of that file is unnecessary and may be causing problems.

Julius22 wrote:About the snippet, do you mean the below command?

No, I was referring to the small X.Org configuration file containing just a single stanza. Copying and editing /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.20-intel.conf should do the job though.

Julius22 wrote:But why then is there this xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted) message?

Sorry, I missed that bit. I think we need to get you running with the buster kernel, the error might be related to your old kernel (but I don't really know for sure).
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Julius22 » 2020-04-28 15:37

@Head_on_a_stick
Thanks for the precisions.
You were right about ther kernel issue. Thanks again for pointing it! :D
After installing the linux-image-686 package, the 4.19.0 kernel was installed and, after a reboot, mythwelcome was started automatically with no obvious problem with the X server. So, I can now go on with the other things I need to reconfigure. :roll: And to begin, another upgrade (but this time with Trisquel; on my main backend) in order to have a good match between the MythTV versions of my two machines…
Julius22

Previous

Return to Installation