Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 very slow on Virtual Machine Manager (VMM)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
justarandom12

Debian 10 very slow on Virtual Machine Manager (VMM)

#1 Post by justarandom12 »

Hello I installed debian 10 on the virtual machine manager, I dedicate to the vm 4 cores from 16, 4 GB of ram, and 50 gb space.

the installation went really slowly, and the system runs also extremly slowly now, how can I check if the problem are maybe the graphic acceleration drivers, and how to install them ?

fred44nl

Re: Debian 10 very slow on Virtual Machine Manager (VMM)

#2 Post by fred44nl »

I'm not familiair with VMM, so I ask you: why not Oracle Virtualbox ??

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Debian 10 - Buster on Compulab Fitlet2
Debian 12 - Bookworm on Acer Spin 1

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

fred44nl wrote:why not Oracle Virtualbox ?
Because it's crap. And it's been removed from the Debian stable release.
justarandom12 wrote:the system runs also extremly slowly
Is KVM enabled in virt-manager and have you enabled the hardware virtualisation extensions in the firmware ("BIOS") options of the host machine?

See also https://wiki.debian.org/KVM
deadbang

justarandom12

#4 Post by justarandom12 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
fred44nl wrote:why not Oracle Virtualbox ?
Because it's crap. And it's been removed from the Debian stable release.
justarandom12 wrote:the system runs also extremly slowly
Is KVM enabled in virt-manager and have you enabled the hardware virtualisation extensions in the firmware ("BIOS") options of the host machine?

See also https://wiki.debian.org/KVM
Thank you for your answer, you were right, the virtualisation in the bios wasnt activated, unfortunately to active it, didnt solve the problem.
I dont know exactly what you mean by enable KVM, I installed it with sudo apt install qemu qemu-kvm qemu-system qemu-utils
and started the VMM Manager, then installed debian 10. Sorry for my mistakes Im very young and just started with linux.
Last edited by justarandom12 on 2020-05-09 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I don't use virt-manager myself so I'm not sure how to enable KVM in that but you can start your VM then check if the -enable-kvm option is applied:

Code: Select all

pgrep -a qemu-system
Also check if the kernel module is loaded:

lsmod|grep kvm
If the VM was installed with hardware virtualisation disabled then perhaps virt-manager doesn't try to enable it afterwards but I don't really know for sure. Consult the Debian wiki page to which I linked earlier.
deadbang

justarandom12

#6 Post by justarandom12 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't use virt-manager myself so I'm not sure how to enable KVM in that but you can start your VM then check if the -enable-kvm option is applied:

pgrep -a qemu-system
Also check if the kernel module is loaded:

lsmod|grep kvm
If the VM was installed with hardware virtualisation disabled then perhaps virt-manager doesn't try to enable it afterwards but I don't really know for sure. Consult the Debian wiki page to which I linked earlier.

pgrep -a qemu-system
kvm looks like it is enabled

lsmod|grep kvm
kvm 0
irq bypass 1

maybe just reinstall with activated virtualisation in Bios ?

justarandom12

#7 Post by justarandom12 »

it looks like reinstalling with virtualisation activated will solve the problem, it installs much smoother and faster now and the cpu usage looks much different and better.

justarandom12

#8 Post by justarandom12 »

ok after reinstall it works like 50% faster and better, but its far away from "smooth". I dont know what else I can try ?

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

justarandom12 wrote:Hello I installed debian 10 on the virtual machine manager . . . .
What's your host OS?

Several weeks ago Head_on_a_Stick posted instructions on how to use qemu directly. Search the forum for it.

If you need a GUI, try Gnome-Boxes. It lacks refinements found on more complicated GUIs but is easy for a novice to use.

BTW, generally the client (in your case Debian 10) needs some software installed. That means some #apt install [package] from the client.

naatje80

#10 Post by naatje80 »

Possibly a little bit late: But in my case it was related to Wayland. I was encountering the same issue with Bullseye/Debian 11. Default, the gnome shell environment was using Wayland instead of Xorg. After switching to a session using Xorg Xserver, the speed was almost comparible to a session on a non-virtual pc or laptop. If unsure what you are currently using, you could always double check with: `ps -efa|grep -i xorg'. If the xorg process is not running, you are most likely still using Wayland.