Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Palemoon repo weirdness.... attention Steve Pusser

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
No_windows

Palemoon repo weirdness.... attention Steve Pusser

#1 Post by No_windows »

A few hours ago, I tried adding the Palemoon repo to my Buster sources.list and I was getting funny results. The repo wouldn't show up in Synaptic, but I could see the individual packages, which had ARM64 appended onto the name. I double checked that I was using the Debian 10 repos, and not Raspberry PI version. I decided to go ahead and select Palemoon for installation (thinking that maybe it was a typo) and Synaptic complained that is had a ton of uninstallable dependencies, so I assume Synaptic is believing that it's ARM, not AMD64.

Is this a problem on my end or the repo? I'm guessing it's on the repo end.
Last edited by No_windows on 2020-05-11 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Palemoon repo weirdness.... attention Steven Pusser

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I think it would be better if you posted terminal output, for example:

Code: Select all

apt install -s palemoon
deadbang

No_windows

Re: Palemoon repo weirdness.... attention Steven Pusser

#3 Post by No_windows »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I think it would be better if you posted terminal output, for example:

apt install -s palemoon
Hmm, I just tried it, and I got the expected output, so I went ahead and installed it with apt. Synaptic only sees it now that it's installed. If I click on the Architecture section of Synaptic I see several versions of Palemoon.... AMD64, i386, arm64, armhf. Steve's repo also finally appeared in the Origin section.... but doesn't on my Jessie Synaptic (I never noticed that until now)

If I put "palemoon" into the quicksearch box, that arm64 version still comes up along with the amd64 version that I installed with apt. I guess there is something about this repo that confuses Synaptic.

Bulkley

Re: Palemoon repo weirdness.... attention Steve Pusser

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Since you are running Debian 10 you might like Packagesearch as an alternative to Synaptic. Packagesearch works in Debian 10 without the hassles that Synaptic requires.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Install inxi and give the output of "inxi -r" so we can see your sources.

Or just give us the contents of the sources.list.d file that adding the repo created so we can double check your work. It works fine for everyone else, so I have to assume the problem is with your sources, not the repo!

Did you ever enable arm64 multisupport arch?
MX Linux packager and developer

No_windows

#6 Post by No_windows »

stevepusser wrote:Install inxi and give the output of "inxi -r" so we can see your sources.

inxi -r
Repos:
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  1: deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main
  2: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main contrib non-free
  3: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
  4: deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_10/ /
I also have the MX repo in my sources list, but it's not active. I grabbed some of the theme/icon related stuff and the Nvidia firmware installer.

Or just give us the contents of the sources.list.d file that adding the repo created so we can double check your work. It works fine for everyone else, so I have to assume the problem is with your sources, not the repo!
I moved the entry to sources.list when I initially ran into problems.
Did you ever enable arm64 multisupport arch?
If I did it was completely by accident.... I have no idea how or why a person would do that.

No_windows

#7 Post by No_windows »

So did the information I provided offer any insight to what I experienced?

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I guess just install it with the command line to avoid possible Synaptic weirdness, like the instructions from the repo say: "apt-get install palemoon".
MX Linux packager and developer

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by None1975 »

Bulkley wrote:Since you are running Debian 10 you might like Packagesearch as an alternative to Synaptic. Packagesearch works in Debian 10 without the hassles that Synaptic requires.
I don’t know if this is the right choice. In addition, this program depends on qt5 libs. And i think it is more heavy weight compared to synaptic.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

No_windows

#10 Post by No_windows »

Bulkley wrote:Since you are running Debian 10 you might like Packagesearch as an alternative to Synaptic. Packagesearch works in Debian 10 without the hassles that Synaptic requires.
What hassles are you speaking of? Normally Synaptic works very well for me.