Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

further nftables woes

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
elaphecarinata

further nftables woes

#1 Post by elaphecarinata »

So on a vanilla Debian Buster I have nftables firewall running without issue. nftables v0.9.0 (Fearless Fosdick)

I also have the firewall working on a Linux Mint system, nftables v0.8.2 (Joe Btfsplk).

I am now trying to setup the firewall on a Raspbian system, Linux raspberrypi 5.4.40-v7l+ #1316 SMP Tue May 12 13:10:42 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux, with nftables v0.9.0 (Fearless Fosdick). The service won't even start with anything in the nftables.conf file, giving errors like: /etc/nftables.conf:2:1-14: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not supported flush ruleset, when running sudo nft -c -f /etc/nftables.conf.

The same happens if I start the service with nothing in the .conf file and then try an interactive session:

create table ip mytable
Error: Could not process rule: Operation not supported
create table ip mytable
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How can I resolve this issue?

With nothing in the .conf file nftables starts up fine:

systemctl status nftables
● nftables.service - nftables
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nftables.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Fri 2020-05-15 15:50:03 BST; 1min 40s ago
Docs: man:nft(8)
http://wiki.nftables.org
Process: 1986 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/nft -f /etc/nftables.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 1986 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

May 15 15:50:03 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting nftables...
May 15 15:50:03 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started nftables.

I am at the limit of my knowledge and could do with a pointer to fix the errors and move forward. Nftables was installed using apt from the raspbian repository
Last edited by elaphecarinata on 2020-05-15 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

elaphecarinata

Re: further nftables woes

#2 Post by elaphecarinata »

Update:

I have found that I am missing the relevant kernel modules (specifically nf_tables.ko and the relevant nft_*.ko) from /lib/modules/5.4.40-v7l+/kernel/net/netfilter

So I am further forwards than I was

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: further nftables woes

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

elaphecarinata wrote:I am now trying to setup the firewall on a Raspbian system
That is not supported here.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/
deadbang