Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trying to build an encrypted, scalable RAID 1 array...

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Gorg

Trying to build an encrypted, scalable RAID 1 array...

#1 Post by Gorg »

Hi all,

after some back-and-forth considering using Btrfs and ZFS, I decided on building an error-detecting RAID 1 array myself with LUKS2/dm-integrity. (https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedul ... ryptsetup/)

Now, I've sort of collected the ingredients, but am uncertain how best to combine them. What makes it a bit obscure for me is that I want to grow the filesystem space later on.

So, if I have 2+ physical hard drives to be mirrored, I first need to encrypt them all individually with LUKS2, then add them to an md-device and then create the filesystem after that. I guess it's pretty safe until that point.

However, how do I make sure that I can grow the partition freely later on? For example if I'd get larger drives down the road and swap them out one by one, keeping my data structure intact.

Should I use LVM on top of the RAID device or maybe even below? Do I even need LVM or should I directly create the filesystem on the md-device? Also, which filesystem should I use? Ext4, XFS or even straight Btrfs, although I don't use its RAID-features anyway? Is there any advantage to one in this scenario? (Not a root-partition, just data.)

Has somebody done something similar? I'd be glad about some thoughts on how to best deal with this. :)