Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] alsa/timidity doesn't recognize default device

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
samuele

[SOLVED] alsa/timidity doesn't recognize default device

#1 Post by samuele »

In Debian 10, When I start timidity as alsa sequencer with a normal user, no problem at all. It works flawlessy.

Code: Select all

samuele@INSPIRON-17:~$ timidity -Os -iA
Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 32768, period size 8192 bytes
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3
When I switch to root user, it dosen't works anymore:

root@INSPIRON-17:~# timidity -Os -iA
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1108:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Can't open pcm device 'default'.
Couldn't open ALSA pcm device (`s')
It seems it cannot finde the "default" device. I know I can forcing it creating an ~/.asoundrc file or a global /etc/asound.conf, but the normal user dosen't need it. It seems it's accessing the global /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, while root dosen't.

So my question is: how i can fix that without writing a new config file? Is it possible to let root access the global file, or I'm missing something?
Last edited by samuele on 2020-05-27 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

samuele

Re: alsa/timidity doesn't recognize default device

#2 Post by samuele »

i think i found something.

According to /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, all conf from /etc/alsa/conf.d are loaded. There we have a 99-pulse.conf, linked to /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf.
In this last file, pulse is set as default alsa device when pulseaudio is started.

So the reason tmidity it's working in the user' session is because it is using the pulse device.

The root user is not able to access pulseaudio, so there we are.. it's not working.

So a solution can be to enable root user to use pulse. Maybe starting as systemwide... (not so secure) or maybe allowing the root user in another way...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

# pulseaudio --start
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
# pulseaudio --system
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set.
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode.
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: OK, so you are running PA in system mode. Please note that you most likely shouldn't be doing that.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: If you do it nonetheless then it's your own fault if things don't work as expected.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Please read http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide/ for an explanation why system mode is usually a bad idea.
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/var/run/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/var/run/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/var/run/pulse/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authentication key '/var/run/pulse/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Denied access to client with invalid authentication data.

samuele

#4 Post by samuele »

I believe the real solution it's to change the way timidity daemon is started, changing it from system-wide to user, after pulseaudio is started, instead of changing pulseaudio.

timidity file is /etc/init.d/timidity. How i can do that? How can i change this scripts making it as a service in /usr/lib/systemd/user like pulseaudio.service and be sure at the same time that it spawns after pulseaudio? or maybe the correct solution involves changing permissions? i really don't know. Any idea?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

My answer is to not use root.

samuele

#6 Post by samuele »

yes... as i said i want to start it as a service...

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

samuele wrote:timidity file is /etc/init.d/timidity. How i can do that? How can i change this scripts making it as a service in /usr/lib/systemd/user like pulseaudio.service and be sure at the same time that it spawns after pulseaudio?
You don't need to change the service file at all, just call it in the ExecStart= line of a custom systemd user service with Requires=pulseaudio.service and After=pulseaudio.service in the [Unit] section. See also http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/system ... ins-3.html

EDIT: or just add the timidity command to ~/.profile (for console sessions) or ~/.xsessionrc (for graphical sessions).
deadbang

samuele

#8 Post by samuele »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
samuele wrote:timidity file is /etc/init.d/timidity. How i can do that? How can i change this scripts making it as a service in /usr/lib/systemd/user like pulseaudio.service and be sure at the same time that it spawns after pulseaudio?
You don't need to change the service file at all, just call it in the ExecStart= line of a custom systemd user service with Requires=pulseaudio.service and After=pulseaudio.service in the [Unit] section. See also http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/system ... ins-3.html

EDIT: or just add the timidity command to ~/.profile (for console sessions) or ~/.xsessionrc (for graphical sessions).
ok this is very useful, thank you!! And this works without breaking anything. Sadly i didn't waited for your answer and i configured pulseaudio as system-wide :roll:

I tested the system-wide version while waiting. So i post both the soultions here if some may need them.

The simplest and less invasive solution is the one you said: Just install all the base packages:

sudo apt-get install timidity fluid-soundfont-gm
then create (with sudo) a systemd unit file, located under /usr/lib/systemd/user/timidity.service, with this content

[Unit]
Description=Timidity
After=pulseaudio.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/timidity -Os -iA

[Install]
WantedBy=pulseaudio.service
now install and enable it

systemctl --user enable timidity.service
systemctl --user start timidity.service
And it's done, started per-user.

The other solution, in order to get pulse/timidity to work as root system-wide, those are the steps:

To get it system-wide, follow the following steps (inspired by https://raven4.cz/wp/pulseaudio-in-system-wide-mode/)

first install base packages

sudo apt-get install timidity timidity-daemon fluid-soundfont-gm
edit (with sudo) /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, search the row

; system-instance = no
uncomment it and set it to yes

system-instance = yes
now make a backup of the files /etc/pulse/system.pa and /etc/pulse/default.pa, just in case you want to rollback, then symlink default.pa as system.pa

sudo mv /etc/pulse/system.pa /etc/pulse/system.pa.bak
sudo cp /etc/pulse/default.pa /etc/pulse/default.pa.bak
sudo ln -s /etc/pulse/default.pa /etc/pulse/system.pa
now edit (sudo) /etc/pulse/default.pa, find the row

load-module module-native-protocol-unix
and change it this way

load-module module-native-protocol-unix auth-group-enable=true auth-group=pulse-access socket=/tmp/pulse-socket
now edit (sudo) /etc/pulse/client.conf, find the row

; default-server =
uncomment it and set it this way

default-server = unix:/tmp/pulse-socket
now we need to add every user we want have access to pulseaudio in the account pulse-access. timidity will run as his own user, so we need to add it too. In my case i want the user root and my main user, samuele, so i'll do:

usermod -a -G pulse-access root
usermod -a -G pulse-access samuele
usermod -a -G pulse-access timidity
now we need to create the custom pulseaudio.service file. so create a file in /etc/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service with this content

[Unit]
Description=Pulseaudio

[Service]
User=root
Type=forking
ExecStart=/bin/pulseaudio --realtime --daemonize
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target
Now it's time to fix timidity.

Check if it's working with

aconnect -lo | grep -i timidity
if not, start it

sudo service timidity start
check again, if everything it's working, whe have a generated service file in /run/systemd/generator.late/timidity.service

copy it to /etc/systemd/system

sudo cp /run/systemd/generator.late/timidity.service /etc/systemd/system/timidity.service
now edit it (sudo) and in the file beginning search for

After=remote-fs.target
and change it this way

After=remote-fs.target pulseaudio.service
In file ending add those two lines to make it installable

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Now it's time for cleaning. stop timidity and remove it from init.d