Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Motherboard and Buster

Need help with peripherals or devices?
NewToLinux

Motherboard and Buster

#1 Post by NewToLinux »

Various reports have led me to believe that third generation AMD Ryzen CPUs will work okay with the stable release
of Buster, so I am trying to arrange the build of a desktop with the stable release of Buster as the operating system.

I aim to use the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 as the CPU and the MSI X570-A PRO as the motherboard.

However i was recently given the following information by an MSI user about the MSI X570-A PRO :-

"See the following link :-

https://community.amd.com/servlet/jives ... 70-PRO.png. png
you can see, according to the above link, the BIOS offered by MSI is still Beta, not the final version of
AGESA 1.0.0.5

AGESA 1.0.0.6 is usually the final version that ends the cycle for every Ryzen generation so its a reference
approach has been so for 1st and 2nd Ryzen generations) offering stability regardless of using 2000 or
3000 series.

Also the BIOS should be flashed to AGESA 1.0.0.6 end of 2018 by the seller before the computer is bought"

I have further been informed that the X570 board and Ryzen 3000 series came out about the same time as
the stable release of Buster I.e. July 2019

As mentioned at the beginning of this email, various reports have convinced me that the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
will work okay with the stable release of Buster. But the MSI X570-A PRO motherboard and its BIOS may have
a serious issue with Buster. Indeed the motherboard may fail to boot.

So I am rather concerned about the stability offered by the BIOS on the MSI X570-A PRO motherboard.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Motherboard and Buster

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Is there a question here?

Just FYI:
NewToLinux wrote:I have further been informed that the X570 board and Ryzen 3000 series came out about the same time as
the stable release of Buster I.e. July 2019
The package versions in buster were frozen six months before the release so compatibility is not guaranteed. I have heard from some Ryzen 3000 users that buster's kernel works for them but there is also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=146383 (ongoing).
deadbang

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

NewToLinux »As mentioned at the beginning of this email, ---snip---
? :?: Also the link you put in the forum post does not work.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

NewToLinux wrote:Various reports have led me to believe that third generation AMD Ryzen CPUs will work okay with the stable release
(...)
So I am rather concerned about the stability offered by the BIOS on the MSI X570-A PRO motherboard.
I have 3700X and it works perfectly with Buster's stock kernel v4.19 and with v5.4 from backports.

If You are unsure whether the MSI BIOS is broken or not, I would suggest to just buy some other MB which is confirmed to work with Buster.
You should also check the type of NIC - f.e. ASUS is known to use chips that are completely incompatible with Linux.

Besides that, X570 chipset is itself problematic: it consumes a lot of power, so practically every MB has active cooling for this chip -> problems with those cheap fans are guaranteed. Moreover, PCI-E 4.0 is practically useless today - even GFX cards can't saturate PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth -> X470 will be sufficient for at least few next years.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed