Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10, Ryzen and MSI

Need help with peripherals or devices?
NewToLinux

Debian 10, Ryzen and MSI

#1 Post by NewToLinux »

Has anyone successfully used an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 in an MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX motherboard
with the stable version of Debian 10 as the operating system ?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Debian 10, Ryzen and MSI

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

You have to be very lucky to find a person who uses exactly the same HW setup...

My advice:
Don't search for specific MB model - instead search for "manufacturer+chipset". All those Pro / ultimate / hyper / ultra / black_ninja models are essentially the same as the base model of the mother board. The differences are usually meaningless, and You just pay for useless gadgets, like more plastic covers on the radiators, more LEDs, and crap like this -> no influence on usability.
Of course, sometimes there are different sound chips, additional network controller or built-in WiFi card, etc -> it is important to check if those components are supported in linux, but not necessarily with given MB model -> this is meaningless in 99.99% cases
Cheaper MB models may have some BIOS options hidden - to make PRO versions looking "better" ;)

The B450 chipset is quite "old", so I don't think that there will be any problems, anyway it's always reasonable to look around.

Just out of curiosity, I did some research for You:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=325945.0
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=332574.0
msi-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1110327 ... otherboard

So: people are reporting that kernel v4.15 forks well with B450, one of users couldn't configre APU drivers (but this not the case here), and a single report that RTL8192CE NIC on Tomahawk is also supported. No reports with audio problems.

You may search for other sources, ofc - it's up to You...

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

Looks like someone copy/pasted from :https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... try5007446 Or from there to here ?
Has anyone successfully used an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 in an MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX with the stable
release of Debian 10 as the operating system ?
Tha's ok, I suppose the more forums one asks on , the more answers one would get. ....
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

cuckooflew wrote:Tha's ok, I suppose the more forums one asks on , the more answers one would get. ....
I agree, and to make it clear: My intention was to shed some light on the problem, not to criticize ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

NewToLinux

#5 Post by NewToLinux »

Thanks very much LE_746F6D617A7A69 for your advice and efforts.

I have found that MSI have recently put the AMD AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5 BIOS on their B450 boards,
but only the Beta version on their X570 boards.

I also found that the RTL8111H Ethernet controller on a lot of motherboards, including the TOMAHAWK MAX,
is unstable with Linux due to Linux installing the r8169 driver (which has bugs) instead of the r8168 driver.

Some people have suggested using the Intel EXP19301CTBLK PRO 1000 Network card CT PCIex to
get round the instability problem.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#6 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Blacklisting r8169 and enabling r8168 solves the problem, so I don't think that buying Intel network controller card is necessary.
Definitely Intel NICs have better tools for handling special settings in the controller - but I doubt that You'll ever need to change them, but it's Your decision.

Recently, many manufacturers are embedding Intel i200 family chips into their MBs - they are working flawlessly with Linux.

Also, if You're interested in having better sound chip, the PCI-E Sound Blaster Recon3D (chip: SB1570) is probably the best choice in terms of price/quality.

Regards.