Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to copy all files from ubuntu A to ubuntu B,preserving e

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
marietto

how to copy all files from ubuntu A to ubuntu B,preserving e

#1 Post by marietto »

Hello to everyone.

I would like to copy all files of this kind : *vmware* with the same permissions and simlinks whatever they are on the ubuntu distribution that I have installed on the PC A to a usb stick and from the usb stick to the ubuntu distribution that I have installed on the PC B. Can someone give me some help ? I tried to do something like this,but it didn't work :
root@ziomario-I9:/media/ziomario/ACRONIS_MED/vmware/etc/rc2.d# rsync -avz /etc/rc2.d/*vmware* /media/ziomario/ACRONIS_MED/vmware/etc/rc2.d/

sending incremental file list

rsync: symlink "/media/ziomario/ACRONIS_MED/vmware/etc/rc2.d/.K08vmware-USBArbitrator.7003" -> "/etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: symlink "/media/ziomario/ACRONIS_MED/vmware/etc/rc2.d/.S01vmware.7003" -> "../init.d/vmware" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: symlink "/media/ziomario/ACRONIS_MED/vmware/etc/rc2.d/.S01vmware-workstation-server.7003" -> "../init.d/vmware-workstation-server" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: symlink "/media/ziomario/ACRONIS_MED/vmware/etc/rc2.d/.S50vmware-USBArbitrator.7003" -> "/etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

sent 276 bytes received 670 bytes 1,892.00 bytes/sec
total size is 115 speedup is 0.12
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1207) [sender=3.1.3]
thanks.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: how to copy all files from ubuntu A to ubuntu B,preservi

#2 Post by CwF »

marietto wrote:rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
The file system of the usb thing matters.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

Specifically, FAT does not support symlinks and Unix permissions. But you can (and IMO should, regardless of the filesystem type) create an archive (tar, ar, cpio...) instead of copying individual files.

marietto

#4 Post by marietto »

thanks. formatting the usb stick with ext4 fixed the problem. again thanks.